Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Candlelight Party candidates pulled from election list

Candlelight Party candidates pulled from election list

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
NEC chairman Prach Chan holds a meeting to address complaints about candidates in the commune council elections on Saturday. NEC

Candlelight Party candidates pulled from election list

The National Election Committee (NEC) has removed 86 Candlelight Party candidates from the lists prepared for the upcoming commune council elections. The party has expressed its regret at the decision, claiming it was ‘unfair’.

NEC spokesman Sorm Sorida told The Post on April 4 that there were two main reasons for the removals. First, 33 candidates did not meet the legal requirements to stand. An additional 53 were removed following complaints they were “unaware” that they had been put forward as candidates.

Sorida added that these candidates had not filled out, signed or thumb-printed their applications, and so they had been deleted.

“Regarding those who did not meet the requirements for candidacy, we are aware that the Candlelight Party has nominated some people who cannot read and write Khmer. This is a clear breach of the eligibility rules,” he said.

According to Sorida, the party had lost candidates in 11 communes, meaning they were still standing candidates in 1,638 of the Kingdom’s 1,652 communes.

Son Chhay, vice-president of the party, said on April 4 that the party deeply regretted the NEC’s “unfair” decision to delete the candidates.

He added that the NEC has removed the Candlelight Party candidates in eight communes in Phnom Penh (Tuol Svay Prey I, Monorom, Phsar Doeum Kor, Prek Leap, Kbal Koh, O’Russey I, O’Russey II and Phsar Depot I); two in Kampong Cham (Kampong Cham and Boeung Kok); and one in Pursat (Kandieng commune).

“The decision to delete the Candlelight Party candidate list – which had already been recognised by the Commune Election Commission – is based on the claims of one or two candidates who tried to resign before the election.

“The deletion of official candidate list undermines the rights of many other candidates whose names have already been posted. It indicates that the NEC lacks common sense and intends to suppress some political parties’ right to participate in elections in accordance with the principles of a free, multi-party democracy and proportional representation,” Chhay said.

His party called on the NEC to adopt a clear position and carry out its role with consistency, as was required by Article 3 of the Law on the Organisation and Functioning of the National Election Committee.

The party also requested that the NEC consider providing opportunities for new candidates to be nominated in the 11 communes.

Sorida said NEC had solved the complaints using their standard mechanisms and through a transparent investigation process. All decisions made by the NEC were based on clear evidence and could not be appealed, he added.

“The NEC holds a neutral position and does not base its decisions on political interests or sentiment towards any political party, because the NEC is purely a law enforcement entity,” he said.

According to the NEC, there were 147 complaints filed, seven of which resulted in the removal of 115 candidates from three different political parties.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At