Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CPP rolls out plan to address fake news



CPP rolls out plan to address fake news

CPP rolls out plan to address fake news

The Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has laid out a monthly plan for its ongoing battle against fake news in an attempt to quell misleading information that could lead to political or economic subversion.

In a memo dated May 1, the CPP said: “As the Kingdom struggles against Covid-19, opponents are still attempting to disseminate propaganda to exploit politics with no concern for the welfare of the people.”

The memo said the CPP launched a timely counterattack on fake news last month when opponents fabricated information to intimidate people and trouble the nation.

It said the CPP has been able to control the situation due to the government’s ability to introduce appropriate, timely and responsive strategic principles.

The memo said living conditions remain normal and the economy remains sustainable, even though the government had to apply some economic restrictions to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The CPP, it said, has also laid out a plan to explain the new state of emergency law which was recently passed by the National Assembly.

CPP spokesman Sok Eysan could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Ministry of Information spokesman Phos Sovann told The Post on Wednesday that the number of fake news stories had decreased.

To help stop the spread of fake news from overseas, the ministry taught people how to analyse different types of fake news, Facebook pages, and accounts.

Royal Academy of Cambodia’s International Relations Institute director Kin Phea told The Post on Wednesday that fake news stories had been emerging on social media.

He said the spread of fake news affects multiple aspects of society, including the economy and the handling of the pandemic.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting