Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Decision on EU funding for election committee due soon




Decision on EU funding for election committee due soon

EU Ambassador to Cambodia George Edgar tests indelible ink at an NEC conference before June commune elections earlier in Phnom Penh.
EU Ambassador to Cambodia George Edgar tests indelible ink at an NEC conference before commune elections held in June this year in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Decision on EU funding for election committee due soon

The European Union ambassador to Cambodia, George Edgar, said on Friday he expected a decision within days on whether funding for Cambodia’s National Election Committee will be cut following the recent dissolution of the country’s only viable opposition party.

Speaking at an event on Friday to celebrate International Human Rights Day, Edgar said “human rights and respect for democratic principles are explicitly considered a key element of the cooperation agreement which we signed with Cambodia in 1997”. That cooperation, he said, included support for the NEC, which was pledged $12 million for election preparations in 2017 and 2018 by the EU. In an interview last week, Edgar said much of that has already been used for equipment.

Asked on Friday if the EU would cut funding, he said that doing so was “part of the consideration”, without elaborating what other measures were being discussed. “We don’t yet have a formal decision, but I would expect that to come in the next few days.”

National Election Committee Deputy Secretary-General Som Sorida yesterday called the funding threats “unjust”, adding that the EU had already provided about $5 million in funding.

“Even if we have no funds from the EU, NEC will continue their work because . . . we have many other [donor] countries,” he said, citing China, Japan and Russia as other major donors.

Hironori Suzuki, counsellor at the Embassy of Japan, reiterated Japan’s continued support in an email yesterday. “It is of utmost importance to have next year’s national election reflect the will of Cambodian people,” he said.

Additional reporting by Ben Sokhean

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.