Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Embassy denies US role in Lon Nol coup d’etat

Embassy denies US role in Lon Nol coup d’etat

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phnom Penh residents, carrying their worldly possessions, are evacuated by the Khmer Rouge in April 1975. They were told they would be away from the city for three days to avoid a US bombing campaign but they didn’t return for three years. AFP/AKP

Embassy denies US role in Lon Nol coup d’etat

The US Embassy in Cambodia on Thursday claimed on its official Facebook page that there was no evidence the US government was involved in the 1970 Cambodian coup d’etat that precipitated much of the unrest that ravaged the country in the years after.

“We would like to highlight that the US was not involved in the coup leading to Lon Nol coming to power. Up to now, there has not been any evidence proving the US was involved."

“Instead, there is a lot of evidence proving that the Chinese government actively supported the Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1979 and in eras after that,” read its statement written in Khmer.

The coup, which occurred on March 18, 1970, saw Prince Norodom Sihanouk overthrown with Prime Minister Lon Nol taking his place.

Despite denials by the US government, many believe it orchestrated the overthrow. It is generally considered a major turning point in the Cambodian civil war and a major contributor to the rise of the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime.

The embassy’s message came in response to claims by Cambodian Facebook users implicating the US government in the events of 1970.

One user named Mony Chan wrote: “If there was no US support for Lon Nol to stage a coup to topple Norodom Sihanouk in March 1970, there would be no Khmer Rouge forces to bring Cambodians to the killing fields.

“In short, the US, in large part, was the root cause and was a founding contributor leading to the Khmer Rouge regime and the killing fields of Cambodia.”

Another Facebook user named Bong Kla suggested the US provided vital weapons and backing, asking the US embassy whether “Lon Nol used Chinese weapons?”

Mony Chan’s comments echoed those of Prime Minister Hun Sen in a speech early last month marking the 40th anniversary of Cambodia’s January 7 liberation from the Khmer Rouge.

The prime minister claimed that Cambodia’s five-year civil war from 1970 and the horrific four-year period under the Khmer Rouge between 1975 and 1979 was a direct consequence of the toppling of Sihanouk’s Sangkum Reastr Niyum regime in 1970.

The comments also come at a time of growing tensions between Cambodia and Western nations, with the US and the EU both threatening punitive economic measures against Hun Sen’s government over what critics claim is a decline in democracy and human rights in the Kingdom in recent years.

Read more: China’s embassy mocks US over Lon Nol claims

Thursday’s message from the US Embassy also honoured the more than two million Cambodians who were killed during the Khmer Rouge regime.

On November 16 last year, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) sentenced former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan to life for genocide, crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the 1949 Geneva Convention.

In reference to the verdicts, the embassy said: “The verdicts of the [ECCC] is the first recognition that the Khmer Rouge regime committed genocide as specified under international law.

“This verdict should bring hope for those seeking truth and responsibility in Cambodia, as well as in other countries, who are trying to reconcile with this past brutal act."

“It should be a strong warning to governments and groups committing brutal acts or eliminating people’s voice showing justice can prevail when we all jointly seek transparency, truth and responsibility.”

Accompanying its message, the US embassy also posted a series of photos, one of which depicts Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot and the then Vice Chairman of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, Wang Dongxing, together.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan responded on Thursday by criticising the US Embassy for posting the photo, accusing it of a diversion campaign that attempted to place blame on China for the genocide.

He continued by denying Cambodia was beholden to Chinese influence and called for the US to respect Cambodian sovereignty.

“We do not bow to any country. We would like the US to respect the sovereignty and independence of Cambodia. Don’t smear our country by saying that Cambodia bows to any country . . . Cambodia just has a goal to protect peace not only at home but also in the region,” he said.

Kin Phea, the director-general of the Institute of International Relations at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, said the legacy of the US involvement in the events of 1970 were still there to see today.

“Do we not see the US bomb craters? The legacy of unexploded ordnance is their war legacy. Can they claim [culpability for the Khmer Rouge] belongs to China more than the US?” he asked.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Angkor Beer, 30 Years of Prestige and Still Counting

    Let’s celebrate 30 years of prestige with Angkor Beer. In this 2022, Angkor Beer is 30 years old and has been staying with Cambodian hearts in all circumstances. Head of core beer portfolio, EmYuthousaid, “We have been with Cambodians for three decades now. We, ANGKOR Beer, pride

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,