Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - EU calls for suspension of land rights NGO to be lifted



EU calls for suspension of land rights NGO to be lifted

EU ambassador George Edgar speaks at a press conference hosted at the European Union office in Phnom Penh last year.
EU ambassador George Edgar speaks at a press conference hosted at the European Union office in Phnom Penh last year. Heng Chivoan

EU calls for suspension of land rights NGO to be lifted

The European Union’s ambassador to Cambodia, George Edgar, yesterday called on the government to end its ostensibly temporary suspension of land rights organisation Equitable Cambodia.

Edgar said he had raised the issue with the Ministry of Interior, which had issued a letter to the organisation at the end of September ordering their suspension for 30 working days for allegedly failing to comply with the controversial Law on Associations and NGOs and their own bylaws.

Equitable Cambodia has worked with villagers in land disputes nationwide, many of whom claim that their land was grabbed by powerful companies, such as Phnom Penh Sugar, owned by ruling party Senator Ly Yong Phat.

“Equitable Cambodia . . . is one of those organisations which have been working with the affected communities for a long time, and we believe it’s important that the NGOs that have a worked with the communities should be involved in the process of resolving the [conflicts] around the sugar land concessions,” he said. “Equitable Cambodia is an important one of those organisations. We hope that they will be able to play a full part in the process.”

Prak Sam Oeun, director general of the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Administration, said that he wasn’t sure when the NGO’s suspension would be lifted, and directed questions to the director of the Department of Associations and Political Parties, Chhim Kan, who could not be reached.

Eang Vuthy, executive director of Equitable Cambodia, said they had still not heard from the Interior Ministry. “Although we have submitted all documents requested by the MoI, we have had no official response from them,” he said. “We are looking forward to their positive response so we can continue to assist affected communities.”

Additional reporting by Soth Koemsoeun

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman