Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NEC takes advice on elections

NEC takes advice on elections

National Election Committee Chairman Sik Bun Hok speaks to the press yesterday at a meeting on this year’s national election.
National Election Committee Chairman Sik Bun Hok speaks to the press yesterday at a meeting on this year’s national election. Hong Menea

NEC takes advice on elections

The National Election Committee (NEC) met with stakeholders yesterday to discuss preparations for the upcoming national elections in July, fielding recommendations from political parties and NGOs to avoid issues that surfaced in 2013.

The elections are under scrutiny following the controversial dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, which won more than 44 percent of the vote in 2013 and was expected to mount a strong challenge to the Cambodian People’s Party.

Sik Bun Hok, NEC chairman, said yesterday that CNRP supporters should vote for one of the remaining choices among a hodge-podge of smaller parties with little previous support.

“They will regret losing the chance that they have [to vote] . . . I think they should not let this chance go, even if they love the party, just vote for another party if there is no CNRP,” he said.

Other participants, meanwhile, suggested for minor tweaks to procedure. Yoeurng Sotheara, legal expert for election watchdog Comfrel, recommended ballots be marked with stamps instead of pens to reduce errors.

Sam Kuntheamy, of election monitor Nicfec, requested a reduction in the number of reserve ballots to prevent the possibility of extra votes being cast, while recommending improvements on announcing results.

“I asked NEC to inform the public clearly about the mechanisms of announcing the primary result of the election,” Kuntheamy said, noting that in 2013 the vote count abruptly cut to another program before returning to announce the results.

A representative from Japan, which still contributes funding to the NEC, recommended that polling stations provide more educational documents so voters better understand the process.

Hang Puthea, NEC spokesman, said the recommendations will be reviewed, with a decision expected in two weeks, though any changes would have to be in line with Cambodian law.

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • US, Cambodia pledge to strengthen military ties

    The US on Tuesday pledged to help train military officers, particularly Cambodia’s blue helmet troops deployed for UN’s peacekeeping operations. The pledge was made during a meeting between US ambassador Patrick Murphy and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief General Vong Pisen. Further

  • Sokha lodges an appeal over treason case reaching court

    Kem Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has appealed against the decision to send his treason case to trial. Sokha’s legal team said their client was not satisfied with the decision of a Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Gov’t approves $9B worth of building projects in 2019

    The government has approved more than $9 billion this year for capital investment in the construction sector, a nearly 80 per cent increase on last year, with most of the growth coming from projects in Sihanoukville, according to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea

  • King rescinds oknha honorific of 46 National Police officials

    The oknha titles of 46 National Police officials with the rank of general, as well as senior officials in the ministries of Interior and National Defence, will be withdrawn following a royal decree from King Norodom Sihamoni. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post