Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM: CPP is capable of ensuring peace until opposition destroyed

PM: CPP is capable of ensuring peace until opposition destroyed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hun Sen cuts the ribbon at the Lower Sesan II dam inauguration ceremony in Stung Treng province on Monday. HUN SEN’S FACEBOOK

PM: CPP is capable of ensuring peace until opposition destroyed

Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Monday that only his ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) “is capable of ensuring peace” and that he intended to serve in office until the opposition was “destroyed”.

Speaking at the inauguration of Lower Sesan II dam – now Cambodia’s largest hydropower facility – on Stung Treng province’s Sesan river on Monday, Hun Sen said he expected to live at least another 40 years.

“If we talk about age, I will live at least 40 more years because I need to serve for two more mandates [10 years]. I will serve as prime minister until the opposition group is destroyed because only Hun Sen is capable of confronting these evil people. Do not let them destroy our peace,” he said.

The prime minister, who has served in his role for over 30 years, added that “only the CPP is capable of ensuring peace, which is the foundation of development.”

Hun Sen also seized the occasion to thank CPP supporters for defeating the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s (CNRP) so-called “sleep at home” or “clean finger” political campaign, which urged Cambodian’s not to participate in July’s national elections to protest the party’s dissolution.

“I would like to take the occasion to thank people in Stung Treng in particular and people nationwide in general that have supported CPP. The first meaning of elections is to participate in the democratisation process, and this defeated the ‘sleep at home, clean finger’ campaign,” he said.

In the July election, the CPP enjoyed a landslide victory, winning all 125 parliamentary seats for the first time since Cambodia’s inaugural democratic elections in 1993.

“That ‘sleep at home’ campaign was illogical . . . how can you think of such words? Eighty-three per cent of people went to vote. They voted to maintain peace and development via voting for the CPP,” the prime minister said.

The 66-year-old CPP president has previously said that he intended to serve as Cambodia’s prime minister for a further 10 years, or two more terms, if the public supported his leadership.

In September last year, he said he had decided to continue in office after a video emerged that showed then president of the CNRP, Kem Sokha, allegedly planning to topple the government.

“Lately, I’ve been hesitating about when I will leave. But, after witnessing the betrayal by some Cambodians [Kem Sokha] who have since been arrested, I decided to continue holding office for at least another 10 years,” Hun Sen said at the time.

In August, he predicted that he would beat the record for the world’s longest-serving non-royal leader, a title currently held by Cameroonian president Paul Biya, 85, who has been in charge of the West African nation for 43 years.

“I have been in power for 33 years now . . . almost 34 years. Add five more years and it will be 39 years. Then add five more years and it will be 44 years, and then I will be first in the world – Hun Sen breaks the record!” he joked.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this