Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced



Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has reduced bail conditions for Kem Sokha more than two years after he had been charged with treason. Kem Sokha via Facebook

Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped.

“As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand that the charge against me is dropped.

“I hope that the decision made today is just the first step. I and other citizens who have lost our political freedom still need to find a solution and real justice,” said Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP).

He said he would meet Cambodians later and will reveal his schedule in due course.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court reduced Sokha's bail conditions more than two years after he was charged with treason.

Y Rin, a spokesperson for the Phnom Penh Municipal Court confirmed to The Post on Sunday that Sokha’s new bail conditions allowed him to travel anywhere within the country.

“He must respect the three points laid out by the court. In the past, he could only move within a certain area, but now he can travel in a wider area,” Y Rin said.
According to the announcement by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sunday, Sokha must remain within Cambodia, must not be involved in political activism and must respond to any summons by the authorities.

The reduction of Sokha's bail conditions came following a request by his lawyers considering his health condition, good cooperation with the court and having respected all his bail conditions.

Sokha was arrested in September 2017 and charged with "conspiracy with a foreign power". He faces a maximum of 30 years in prison if found guilty.

In September last year, he was granted bail on the condition he remained at his house in the capital's Tuol Kork district. This came after he had spent a year in the Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum.

Meng Sopheary, one of Sokha’s four lawyers, told The Post on Sunday that his legal team had lodged a request with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to have their client's charge dropped.

She said Sokha and his team of lawyers were still fully unclear as to the bail conditions banning him from involvement in political activities.

Sokha, she said, had yet to leave his house as he wanted to better understand his bail conditions.

“We, the co-lawyers, filed a request not for reducing the bail conditions, but for having our client's charge dropped. But we received only a change in his bail conditions. We continue to demand that his charge is dropped,” Sopheary said.

Human rights NGOs welcomed Sokha's reduced bail conditions and also called for his charge be dropped.

US Ambassador Patrick Murphy echoed the demand.

“We note the partial lifting of restrictions on former National Assembly vice-president Kem Sokha. This is a step in the right direction, but for genuine progress, his full rights and freedoms must be restored,” he wrote on Twitter.

He added that he hoped to see Sokha participate fully in politics as soon as possible.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma