Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
US embassy military attache visits Ream​. Ministry of National Defense

US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

On June 11, the US embassy's defence attache Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Naval Base in coordination with Cambodian officials – following the recent approval by Prime Minister Hun Sen – in order to allay US concerns regarding a Chinese military presence at the base raised by US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy R Sherman.

The visit was brief and the embassy then issued a statement claiming that Cambodian military officials refused to grant the defence attache full access to the naval base and the US embassy renewed its call for another visit at the earliest opportunity with "full access".

On June 11, The Post wrote to the embassy to inquire about its definition of "full access" to the military base and whether such access to a military base has ever been granted by any nation's military to any other non-allied foreign military – an enquiry to which US embassy spokesman Chad Roedemeier responded "we will let our statement stand", without providing further elaboration.

The Post also pressed the embassy for more details on the visit, such as what the defence attache had or had not seen at the base, but the spokesman did not provide an answer, replying only that he would be "out of the office" until July 15.

On June 12, The Post asked the embassy for more details via both email and Facebook, especially regarding where the embassy’s defence attaché wanted to visit that he had been refused access to.

The embassy was also asked whether the US intended to visit the military bases of other countries in the same manner in which they have Cambodia’s, but the embassy spokesperson said he did not have an answer.

General Suon Samnang – deputy director-general of the Ministry of National Defence's General Department of Politics and Foreign Affairs – told The Post that he brought US embassy defense attache Colonel Ferrara to visit Ream Naval Base to have a look at the ships and the workshop built with Australian aid.

After that, Colonel Ferrara was brought to see a hospital building and the new location of the frontline command centre of the open-sea committee where he suspected Chinese military presence, as he requested.

“We prepared important locations which he wished to see in order to clear up their suspicions about an alleged Chinese military base," General Samnang said.

General Nem Sowath – adviser to Minister of Defence Tea Bahn – also expressed his surprise and dismay over the embassy’s claims.

He told The Post: “What we saw from the embassy is a statement that is factless and untrue. It’s a big misunderstanding to interpret [our actions today] as un-cooperative.”

On June 12, Cambodia’s defence ministry issued a press statement to clarify what the US embassy had said.

The defence ministry’s statement said that Colonel Ferrara’s visit lasted for three hours, starting at 9am. After the visit to the above mentioned places came to an end, Colonel Ferrara requested access to another location which was not in the plans that both sides had agreed upon and the request was turned down.

“Based on these factors, the defence ministry views the US embassy’s statement as a provocation and a fabrication that brings more gloom to Cambodia-US military relations,” the ministry said.

The ministry “insisted” that the US stop inventing new scenarios that had a negative impact on Cambodia-US military ties and that they respect Cambodia’s sovereignty and its military’s procedures.

The ministry said it will still thoroughly consider any future requests to visit the base.

“The only activity inside the military base that access was permitted for was a visit. Not a [comprehensive] search or [total] scrutiny,” the ministry said.

The ministry and General Samnang did not say which location exactly the US defense attaché’s request to visit had been refused.

Kin Phea, director of the Royal Academy of Cambodia's International Relations Institute, said he believed that no country should grant unconditional access to military bases to a foreign defense attaché like they were a prosecutor with a search warrant.

Phea said there should be a method to clear up these issues of alleged Chinese military presence without violating a sovereign country's military secrets that aren’t relevant to the issue of a Chinese military presence.

“We don’t have to talk about foreign military attachés as even ordinary people cannot have access to a military base. Our question to the US is will they let ordinary people enter the 800 military bases they have outside of US territory?

“Cambodia already showed a gentle manner to allow the defence attaché to visit the naval base. But as they already know, the military is the heart and soul of a nation’s security,” Phea said.

Jean-Francois Tain, a geopolitical analyst, said: “The defence attaché being “permitted or not permitted to visit any location came from the agreement made by both sides and it is the right of [Cambodia] as a sovereign country to decide”.

Both Prime Minister Hun Sen and defence minister Tea Banh have repeatedly denied that there was any truth to the speculation about a Chinese military presence in Cambodia, stressing that the Cambodian Constitution does not allow foreign military bases on the Kingdom’s territory.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ice cream, noodles flagged over carcinogen

    The General Department of Customs and Excise of Cambodia (GDCE) has identified three types of instant noodles and ice cream trademarks originating from Thailand, Vietnam and France that are suspected to contain ethylene oxide, which poses a cancer risk to consumers. The general department has

  • Exclusive interview with Josep Borrell Fontelles, High Representative of the EU

    CAMBODIA is hosting the 55th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) and Related Meetings this week with top officials from the US, China, and Russia and other countries in the region slated to attend and to meet with face-to-face with their counterparts on the sidelines. In

  • Rise in Thai air routes to Siem Reap fuels travel hopes

    Local tourism industry players are eager for regional airline Bangkok Airways Pcl’s resumption of direct flight services between the Thai capital and Siem Reap town on August 1 – home of Cambodia’s awe-inspiring Angkor Archaeological Park – which is expected to boost the growth rate of

  • ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ meet commences, Taiwan issue possibly on table

    The 55th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) and related meetings hosted by Cambodia kicks off in Phnom Penh on August 3, with progress, challenges, and the way forward for the ASEAN Community-building on the table. Issues on Taiwan, sparked by the visit of US House Speaker

  • Angkor lifetime pass, special Siem Reap travel offers planned

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to introduce a convenient, single lifetime pass for foreign travellers to visit Angkor Archaeological Park and potentially other areas. The move is designed to stimulate tourism to the culturally rich province of Siem Reap as the start of the “Visit

  • Recap of this year’s ASEAN FM meet and look ahead

    This year’s edition of the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) hosted by Cambodia comes against the backdrop of heightened global tensions and increasing rivalry between major powers that have been compared to the animosity of the Cold War era. The following is The Post’