Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 100 netted in capital VoIP raid




100 netted in capital VoIP raid

Some of the 100 Chinese nationals arrested by immigration police in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district for their alleged involvement in a large VoIP scheme on Monday. Photo supplied
Some of the 100 Chinese nationals arrested by immigration police in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district for their alleged involvement in a large VoIP scheme on Monday. Photo supplied

100 netted in capital VoIP raid

Immigration police arrested 100 Chinese nationals in Phnom Penh on Monday for allegedly running a large online phone extortion ring.

Immigration Department investigations head Uk Hai Sela said the raid was conducted in Tuol Kork district under the oversight of Phnom Penh Municipal Court Deputy Prosecutor Sieng Sok and was based on a tip from Chinese authorities.

According to Hai Sela, the scammers would flirt with victims online and convince them to give them racy photos, which they then threatened to release to the public or loved ones unless their victims gave them money.

Nineteen women were among the 100 arrested, according to Hai Sela, who added that none were from Taiwan, which has in the past objected to the deportation of its nationals to mainland China. “Those 100 Chinese were sent to the General Department of Immigration for investigation and procedural implementation,” Hai Sela said.

Immigration officials have deported hundreds of Chinese nationals for operating so-called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scams over the years. Police arrested about 200 Chinese nationals in August in their biggest ever VoIP raid in Banteay Meanchey’s Poipet town.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • CNRP activist freed; Sam Rainsy pledges return to Kingdom

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday released former CNRP activist Oeur Narith on bail after the court ended its questioning on suspicion of receiving money from abroad and plotting to overthrow the government, according to the authorities. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun confirmed

  • Hun Sen says developing nations ‘targets of rivalry’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke at the virtual UN General Assembly on Monday, saying that developing nations often become targets of punishment for their imperfections when they don’t rise to the standards of developed countries. He said rivalries between superpowers often hamper developing countries’