Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 22 street children rescued in raid



22 street children rescued in raid

Undercover police and anti-human trafficking authorities inspect a property in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district yesterday where 22 children were being held.
Undercover police and anti-human trafficking authorities inspect a property in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district yesterday where 22 children were being held. PHOTO SUPPLIED

22 street children rescued in raid

A couple may face up to five years behind bars after police rescued a large group of children the pair were exploiting as snack sellers on the streets of Phnom Penh.

The anti-human trafficking police found 22 children aged 6 to 16 at the home of Khen Vanthai, 30, and her husband Chea Sady, 28, at Derm Chan village, Chbar II commune, Chbar Ampov district, yesterday morning.

The youngsters were being sent into the capital every day from 6pm until as late as 5am to sell peanuts and fruit on the streets and at beer gardens, but were only given one meal a day by the couple.

Sok Savorn, Chbar Ampov II commune police chief, told the Post the authorities took the children, who are from Prey Veng and Kandal provinces, along with the two adults, to the Ministry of Interior for further interrogation.

“The couple said that some profits had been shared with those children so that they can put it aside when the work ends,” Savorn said.

But yesterday evening, Na Neang, deputy director of Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Protection at the Ministry of Interior, said that after hours of interrogation, authorities decided to charge the couple with “causing health problems and affecting the children’s studying”.

As a result, the suspects may be sentenced to between two and five years in prison.

Na Neang added that the couple only provided the children with dinner, but when it came to breakfast and lunch, they had to fend for themselves. In addition, the space provided for the children to sleep was narrow and noisy, which made it hard for them to rest.

“Both working conditions and shelter showed that these children were exploited by the couple,” she said.

Reflecting on the case, UNICEF’s Meas Bunly said: “Child exploitation is a serious violation of the rights of children.

It is the responsibility of families, broader communities and the government to prevent the exploitation of children.”

It was also important that the children who had been preyed upon got the help they needed to rebuild their lives.

“For children rescued from exploitation, the main priority is to provide effective support and child protection.

This support includes safe and nurturing accommodation, case planning and to help them to go back to school,” she said.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JAMIE ELLIOTT

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister