Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 35 injured in night bus crash



35 injured in night bus crash

35 injured in night bus crash

110519_2
Men purchase bus tickets at Virak Buntham Express Tour & Travel yesterday in Phnom Penh.

A total of 35 people, including 18 foreign nationals, were injured when a night bus travelling from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap crashed in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The Virak Buntham Express Tour and Travel bus collided with a broken-down rice truck, which was blocking part of the road in Kien Sangke commune, in Siem Reap province’s Sotr Nikum district, at around 5am.

Thorng Sakun, the chief of Siem Reap police road traffic bureau, said that the truck had stopped on the wrong side of the road in order to change its tyres.

“The bus driver crashed into it because of his carelessness,” he said.

An American tourist broke his left leg, he said, while another 34 people were hurt. The injured were taken to hospital.

Suon Samath, general  manager of  Virak Buntham Express Tour and Travel, said  yesterday that the company was insured and had been transporting passengers on night buses between Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville for nearly two years without incident.

He hoped the accident would not matter to his clientelle who he hoped would continue to use the company’s services despite yesterday’s crash. Traffic police said yesterday they would investigate the accident further.

In the first three months of 2011,  Thorng Sakun said 55 traffic accidents were recorded in Siem Reap province resulting in 24 deaths.

The Siem Reap accident is the latest for the Kingdom’s buses.

Last month, an Indian national was seriously injured when a Phnom Penh Sorya Transportation bus and a train collided on a railroad in Kampot province.

In early March, 19 Cambodians died when a mini bus and a container truck crashed in Preah Sihanouk province.

The truck driver was among the dead and eight others were seriously injured.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants