Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 7NG makes one final offer

7NG makes one final offer

7NG makes one final offer

090129_03.jpg
090129_03.jpg

Saga continues as families evicted from Dey Krahorm by private

developer 7NG are offered housing in relocation site 16km outside Phnom

Penh.

Photo by:

HENG CHIVOAN

Former Dey Krahorm residents on Monday.  

PRIVATE developer 7NG delivered an ultimatum Wednesday to residents evicted from Dey Krahorm community, saying they had until the end of the month to accept compensation or they would receive nothing, according to a statement from the company.

In a statement by Managing Director Srey Chanthou obtained by the Post Wednesday and dated Tuesday, 7NG urges residents to contact authorities before Saturday if they want to receive a house at the new relocation site in Damnak Trayoeng village, saying there were enough houses for 85 families.

Rights groups claim around 150 families were forcibly evicted from the city-based community Saturday and relocated to Damnak Trayoeng village, 16 kilometres from the city.

An additional sum of 777,700 riels (US$189) was also available along with housing supplies for each family applying, Srey Chanthou wrote.

"Residents and vendors must rush to contact the company and authorities before January 31, 2009. If they are late to accept a house or stalls, the company will not be responsible to provide anymore," Srey Chanthou announced in the statement.

The company also said that the 113 market vendors who had stalls at Dey Krahorm that were also demolished in the eviction could register for new stalls at the relocation site. They are now staying under the car park of Damnak Trayoeng office, the letter added.

He added, however, that individuals renting in the original community would not be eligible to apply for a house. "The company will not be responsible for renters," he said.

Leng Kim Rady, 52, an evictee now living in Damnak Trayoeng, said his family had set up a tarpaulin in a parking area.

"The deadline to receive a home is too early for us to have a chance to think - with a family - whether or not to take a house," he said. "I still want US$20,000, as was the promise by the municipality and the company before eviction."

Chan Vichet, a Dey Krahorm representative, said the number of houses offered would not cover everyone. "Only 85 families can receive a house. What about the others who had a house before the eviction?"

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong