Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Access roads planned for burned Russey Keo village

Access roads planned for burned Russey Keo village

Access roads planned for burned Russey Keo village

091229_05
Residents try to salvage possesions after fire struck a Russey Keo village last month.

PHNOM Penh Municipality has pledged the city will build access roads into a Russey Keo district village that was ravaged by fire in November.

Construction of two roads will begin in January after more than 200 houses in the village in Chraing Chamres II commune were levelled in the blaze, which also set light to the local commune hall and police office.

“We will rebuild the commune office when we start constructing the roads,” said Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema, who said the “majority of residents” agreed to give up a piece of their land to build the roads.

The village’s narrow lanes were a barrier to combating the November blaze. Fire trucks couldn’t squeeze through the tight passages, forcing officials to bulldoze entire houses just to get at the flames.

Construction of the new roads will affect people living in roughly 100 houses, said Vann Phan, chief of the commune.

The roads, he said, will need to be expanded to at least a 4-metre width, clawing away a metre or two of space from affected houses, he said.

“There is no policy to compensate the residents, but most of them agree with the construction, except for the owners of several big concrete houses,” Vann Phan said.

‘Happy’ to give land
One local resident whose home was wrecked by the blaze said she agreed to let the construction proceed through part of her land.

Before the fire, Noun Pov said, the neighbourhood was crowded; the roads weren’t wide enough for large cars to drive through.

“I am happy to give part of my land for the road construction,” she said.

Meanwhile, authorities said they are also looking for land to double the number of fire stations in the city.

The two new stations would include one in Russey Keo district near the Japanese Bridge, and one in Dangkor district.

“This is our plan, but we have to find the land first,” said Neth Vantha, director of the municipal fire department.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh