Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accusation prompts fresh Cintri walkout

Accusation prompts fresh Cintri walkout

Accusation prompts fresh Cintri walkout

Hundreds of workers of Phnom Penh’s sole refuse collection company went on strike yesterday to demand better working conditions after a driver was accused of stealing petrol from the employer.

Prak Sokha, a representative of the striking Cintri workers, said the protest began after the company accused one of its drivers of siphoning petrol from the rubbish trucks.

According to Sokha, Cintri asked police to arrest the man – whom he declined to name out of fear for his safety – and ordered security guards to threaten to shoot him.

Furthermore, Sokha claimed that the company regularly allows drivers to siphon leftover gas from their vehicles at the end of the workday, a claim Cintri refused to confirm or deny.

“Drivers do not [steal] the fuel. It is said that if some remains after … working hours, the fuel in the vehicle can be siphoned,” he said.

Following the incident, about 100 workers gathered outside Cintri’s headquarters in the capital yesterday morning, calling for the company to meet at least four of its 10 demands for improved working conditions.

“The four salient points are $10 for accommodation, $15 for travel, $10 for health care and an annual bonus,” Sokha said.

According to Sokha, the majority of Cintri’s 1,000 employees did not show up for work yesterday.

In a bid to negotiate, Cintri said it would allow drivers to take 2 litres of petrol a day but refused to agree to any of the four demands, said Trade Union Federation for Increasing Khmer Employees Lifestyles president Mom Sarorn, who attended the talks.

“The company requests that workers return to work first, but they have not, because they want the company to answer their four demands first.”

Seng Solyda, deputy director of Cintri, said the company was working to find a solution, while Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour said the government would intervene if necessary.

“If the workers do not agree, the ministry will help settle it,” he said.

Yesterday’s strike follows similar action in February, when rubbish was left to pile up for four days while workers called for higher wages and better working conditions.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the