Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accused molester charged in Sihanoukville




Accused molester charged in Sihanoukville

Accused molester charged in Sihanoukville

The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court on Tuesday pressed charges against a 42-year-old Dutchman after he allegedly committed “indecent acts” on a 6-year-old girl in his care.

According to Provincial Deputy Police Chief Pen Kanha, the victim’s mother, a masseuse, had known the suspect for about two years and had let her daughter stay at his guesthouse, where the alleged assault took place on June 17.

Suon Sophan, deputy chief of the local Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Unit, said that the complaint filed by the child’s mother the day after the alleged incident was handed to the court along with the suspect on Tuesday.

Provincial Court Prosecutor Chat Soreaksmey confirmed that the court charged the suspect but said she was unaware of what the charges were.

According to a press release issued by child protection organisation APLE yesterday, this is the fifth arrest of a foreign child abuser this year.

“The situation has been like this for a few years… There is an increase of these events in Sihanoukville itself,” said APLE Program Director Vando Khoem.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped