Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Acid attack leaves two in hospital

Acid attack leaves two in hospital

Acid attack leaves two in hospital

Police have arrested two men accused of seriously injuring two women in an acid attack outside a restaurant in Meanchey district at about 9pm on Tuesday, officials said.

Kong Samon, deputy district police chief, said a woman who ordered the attack was also arrested.

The two male suspects, who fled the scene of the crime, were identified by witnesses and arrested about two hours after the incident, Kong Samon said.

“We arrested and sent them to the police station for questioning and maybe we will send them to the municipal court tomorrow evening,” he said today.

He said the two victims were riding a motorbike when they were attacked by the men, who were also on a motorbike.

“The suspects poured acid on the victims because the wife of one suspect argued with one of the victims,” he said, adding that the victims and the wife of one of the suspects worked together at a garment factory.

Kong Samon said the suspects had confessed to the attack, with one explaining that he had been “very angry” with one of the victims.

Chhun Sophea, programme manager at the Cambodian Acid Survivors Charity, said the victims, 24-year-old Rin Soklim and 26-year-old Seng Touch, were attacked “over a small rivalry” with the woman who ordered the assault.

She said Seng Touch, who is being treated at Calmette hospital, had received serious injuries in the attack.

“She’s in a very bad state,” Chhun Sophea said. “She received burns to her face and eyes and all over her body.”

She said the other victim received less severe burns to her right arm and leg, but might still require surgery.

She said the attack was the first case of acid violence reported this year.

Last year, she said, CASC recorded a total of 19 new attacks and 36 new burn victims.

An additional 34 victims burned in previous years also reported their cases last year, she added, bringing to 70 the total number of victims recorded by the organisation over the course of 2010.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.