Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Acid attack: Victim says he will not file charges

Acid attack: Victim says he will not file charges

Acid attack: Victim says he will not file charges

Acid attack
A MAN who was seriously injured in an acid attack on Russian Boulevard on Monday night said yesterday he would not pursue legal action against the suspect, a police official said.

Son Kannareth, Russey Keo commune police chief, said he suspected that the victim, who had originally vowed to press charges against his assailant, had decided not to file a complaint out of fear of retribution.

“It is difficult to find the reason, but even though the victim did not file a complaint, we will not [close] this case at this time,” he said. “We will still keep investigating to arrest the suspect and punish [the suspect] through the law.”

The victim said that he had not been involved in any recent disputes, and that he might not have been the intended target of the attack because he did not recognise the assailant, Son Kannareth said.

Chhun Sophea, programme manager at the Cambodian Acid Survivors Charity, said the victim had been transferred to the organisation’s medical facility yesterday.

“He has to spend a long time on treatment because he got seriously injured,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but