Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Acid murder trial under way

Acid murder trial under way

Sroeun Nann sits at a Phnom Penh police station in March after her arrest on charges that she attacked Meas Vanny with acid.
Sroeun Nann sits at a Phnom Penh police station in March after her arrest on charges that she attacked Meas Vanny with acid. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Acid murder trial under way

The trial of a woman accused of using acid to murder a teenager she suspected of having an affair with her husband began in Phnom Penh yesterday, almost five months after the attack.

Sroeun Nann, 40, was arrested on March 6, the same day she threw acid over the face and body of 15-year-old Meas Vanny.

Nann accused the girl of romantic involvement with her husband, who worked at the same garment factory where Vanny was a security guard.

After more than two weeks of agony, the teenager – who was previously reported as being aged 20 – died of her injuries on March 21.

While Nann has admitted to the attack, she denies meaning to murder Vanny.

She currently faces charges of “intentional killing by the use of concentrated acid” under the country’s Acid Law, enacted in January 2012.

“I just wanted to warn her and cause her injury so that she would stop getting involved with my husband,” she told the court.

Vanny’s father, Sin Sinoeun, yesterday said he was demanding 100 million riel (about $20,000) in compensation, and called for a harsh sentence.

“To find justice for my daughter, I would like to ask the court to punish her strongly,” he said.

A conviction for Nann would be only the second under the 2012 law, drafted by the government with the help of NGO Cambodian Acid Survivors Charity (CASC).

Since the drafting of the law began in 2010, acid attacks have fallen more than 80 per cent, leading to CASC’s funding being slashed.

Speaking yesterday, former CASC project manager Erin Bourgois welcomed the prosecution, but urged the government to give victims more assistance.

“The road to recovery is long, and now that CASC has downsized, this support is needed more than ever,” she said.

While two cases prosecuted under the Acid Law had previously led to convictions, Bourgois pointed out that last month the Supreme Court reclassified the first conviction as falling under the criminal code.

That incident saw Pov Kolab, then aged 20, attack Kong Touch, then aged 52, in September 2011, in an act of revenge over money owed to him by Touch’s nephew. In June 2012, Kolab received a 10-year sentence and was fined 20 million riel (about $5,000).

That conviction was followed in January 2013 by a five-year sentence and 10 million riel ($2,500) fine handed to 49-year-old Bin Soeun.

He had doused his ex-wife Nhem Sreyda, 32, with acid in August 2012, after she told him she intended to remarry.

A verdict in Nann’s case is due on August 24.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reuters: US Embassy fired 32 staff members for sharing pornography

    The United States Embassy in Phnom Penh has fired 32 non-diplomatic staff members who were allegedly caught exchanging pornographic images and video, including of minors, according to the news agency Reuters. Four sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the content was shared in

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Huge timber haul seized in Kratie raid, suspects sought

    Kratie provincial authorities were searching on Wednesday for the owners of hundreds of cubic metres of first-grade timber found loaded onto seven heavy trucks during a raid on a warehouse in Snuol district. After getting a tip-off, Military Police, police, Forestry Administration and court officials