Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Action called against ‘inciters’

Action called against ‘inciters’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 300 residents from five provinces gather in Phnom Penh on Monday before marching togovernment institutions to submit petitions demanding that Prime Minister Hun Sen intervene in their long-running land disputes. Heng Chivoan

Action called against ‘inciters’

The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction has said it will not look to resolve a land dispute involving seven communities in Tbong Khmum province, calling instead for measures against those it considers responsible for inciting protests.

Protesters from Trapaing Pring, Kamproeus, Sre Praing, Boss Snaor, Tuol Sambor, Chambak and Chi Trun communities in Dambe district submitted a petition at the ministry to demand the awarding of 3,718ha of forest land.

The ministry on Monday identified Horn Trip, Pheng Samoeun, Sem Sang, Heang Han, Sreng Sron, Khaing Veng and Sao Teang, who represented 676 families, as those responsible for inciting villagers to protest.

A review of relevant documents by the authorities concluded that the villagers, including village and commune chiefs, agreed in 2011 to sell land in Chi Trun, Boss Chmar and Sre Praing villages to a private company, a ministry statement said.

The land titles had already been transferred to the company.

While land in Tuol Sambor and Kamproeus villages had been registered as villagers’ property, land in Trapaing Pring and Chambak villages had been settled and was no longer classified as communal.

“Therefore, the ministry will not seek any resolution and asks the authorities to take action according to legal procedures against those who incited villagers to protest,” the statement read.

Sem Sang, the villagers’ representative in Trapaing Pring commune, said the ministry’s decision was incorrect and he would request its review.

He said he would ask the Ministry of Land Management and the Anti-Corruption Unit to investigate reports of officials at the commune, district and provincial levels issuing titles to others when the land was owned by villagers.

“A complaint denouncing the ministry’s statement will be filed at the ministry. After that, we will ask the authorities to confirm when exactly villagers sold the land to the company and who witnessed the deal.

“I cannot accept this decision and will ask the ministry to investigate further,” Sang said.

Trapaing Pring commune chief Mom Sabun said there are 12 villages in his commune, with people in six disputing land ownership.

However, he said the reality was those villagers had received compensation, while others had voluntarily agreed to sell land to the company.

He said he suspected the protest might have been agitated by NGOs.

“The dispute remains alive because some outsiders told villagers to do this and that. According to my observations, political parties would not get involved in a case like this. I suspect NGOs have helped stir things up in this case, but I am not certain,” Sabun said.

Theng Savoeun, the director of the Coalition of Cambodian Farmer Community (CCFC), said it would be better for authorities to focus on finding resolutions to the land disputes rather than looking to accuse people of inciting them.

He said land disputes persisted because national and provincial authorities neglected to properly address the issue.

“I want the relevant officials to uncover the real causes of land disputes. The authorities should hold public forums for discussions to find the real offenders. Officials, company representatives and villagers should be invited. Land disputes would then be quickly resolved,” Savoeun said.

The CCFC said villagers from 30 communities across five provinces came to Phnom Penh on Tuesday to submit petitions seeking resolutions to land disputes.

The protesters represented 7,615 families from Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Svay Rieng, Tbong Khmum and Kandal provinces locked in disputes over 16,279ha of land.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation

  • Sri Lanka’s LOLC Holdings plans to sell Cambodian unit

    LOLC Holdings Plc, Sri Lanka’s second-largest publicly traded company by revenue, plans to sell its 70 per cent stake in Prasac Microfinance Institution Ltd, which also counts Hong Kong’s Bank of East Asia Ltd. as a shareholder, LOLC deputy chairman Ishara Nanayakkara said. Nanayakkara