Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activist hit with $10K defamation fine



Activist hit with $10K defamation fine

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Environmental activist Kroeung Tola. FACEBOOK

Activist hit with $10K defamation fine

Environmental activist Kroeung Tola plans to appeal the Mondulkiri Provincial Court decision ordering him to pay 40 million riel ($10,000) in compensation to O’Raing district governor Siek Mony and four million riel to the state for public defamation.

The provincial court’s January 19 decision came after Mony sued Tola over a Facebook post that said the former was involved with attempts to encroach on 300ha of protected forest in O’Raing district.

Tola, who is of Bunong ethnicity according to the court’s records, claimed he had received information from residents in the area that Mony was involved in the clearing of the 300ha and that he had conspired with other officials.

“I don’t think the Mondulkiri Provincial Court’s judge and prosecutors had investigated thoroughly enough to be able to reach the conclusion that what I posted was false. I’m only trying to protect public land, which is state property, but I’m being punished for it.

“I am preparing to file an appeal, but I cannot confirm how soon that will happen,” he said.

O’Raing district governor Siek Mony could not be reached for comment on January 21.

Mony’s lawyer San Sopha claimed that Tola had indeed committed public defamation because he did not provide clear evidence of the alleged corruption such as witnesses or documents to confirm that Mony had any connection to the 300ha.

Sopha said Tola was aware that the O’Raing district administration had refuted these accusations but he still would not accept it and insisted that his actions were correct.

He asked the court to punish Tola to the fullest extent of the law. He said he had initially demanded $200,000 in compensation for his client.

The provincial court records detailed that Tola’s conviction stemmed from statements he had made in Sen Monorom town’s Sokdum commune on January 31, last year. He was charged under Article 304 of the Criminal Code.

The case was heard in court on December 17, last year, in the presence of Tola and the absence of Mony.

Pen Bonnar, local community empowerment officer for rights group Adhoc, said Mondulkiri province was the site of many land disputes and a large number of encroachments on state land.

He said he had heard the situation was being examined by the ministries of Interior and Environment, as well as other relevant authorities who are working to identify the perpetrators. The authorities have not ruled out the possibility of involvement by senior provincial officials.

Bonnar said he did not know for certain who was responsible but the case must be thoroughly investigated because there have been many troubling reports from residents who are more familiar with the situation on the ground.

“Prosecutors and judges must thoroughly investigate before making any decisions; otherwise it violates the rights of the defendant and does an injustice to those like Tola who are loyal to the national interests.

“I think Tola should search for additional evidence and if he finds any he can present it to the Appeal Court,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said