Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activist urges investigation of sanctuary encroachment



Activist urges investigation of sanctuary encroachment

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organisation director Chea Hean said nearly 100ha in the sanctuary was bulldozed. facebook

Activist urges investigation of sanctuary encroachment

A prominent forest activist in Kampong Speu province said he would ask the provincial Department of Environment on Wednesday to investigate land encroachment in the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary.

Chea Hean, the director of the Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organisation, alleged that nearly 100ha in the sanctuary was being bulldozed for private ownership.

Hean urged provincial environmental officials to use the global positioning system (GPS) to demarcate land in the sanctuary to prevent such encroachment. He claimed officials tasked with managing the sanctuary had so far taken no legal action against the intruders.

“When it [part of the sanctuary] was bulldozed, I reported it to the Ministry of Environment secretary of state Neth Pheaktra who then came to the provincial department for intervention.

“The department allowed the sanctuary chief and his officials to examine it, but they didn’t take any action thereafter,” he said.

Hean claimed that in 10 days, around 25ha in two separate locations in the sanctuary in Trapaing Chor commune had been bulldozed, with nearly 100ha slated for unauthorised clearance.

He alleged that Oral district deputy police chief Morm An, Rasmey Samaki commune police officer Morn Tol and a Trapaing Chor commune clerk had colluded to bulldoze the protected sanctuary.

He said three pieces of machinery had been removed at night from the sanctuary after he sought an intervention from Nov Nak, the deputy director of the provincial environment department in charge of protected natural areas.

He said the area where the machinery stood before the removal had already been bulldozed.

“Nov Nak ordered his subordinates to implement the law, but they turned a deaf ear until the machinery was transported away.

“On Monday, Nak suggested I submit a letter the environment department requesting a joint examination and survey of the area,” he said.

Tol could not be reached for comment on Monday.

An, the Oral district deputy police chief, confirmed to The Post he had bulldozed more than 2ha in the area, but that he had a certificate issued in 2012 by the government-administered land-measurement volunteer students to prove his ownership.

“My land has a proper title. So before Chea Hean accuses someone of encroachment, he must first meet with the landowner for clarification,” he said.

While acknowledging that the area had been measured with a certificate issued by the volunteer students, Hean said it was because documentation was forged to deceive the volunteers that the area was farmland that residents relied on for their livelihood.

The area, he said, was in fact part of degraded forest in the sanctuary which by law cannot be claimed for private ownership.

Nak said on Monday he could not recall if Hean had reported to him about the land being bulldozed.

“I’m not sure if he had reported it to me,” he said.

Hean urged ministry specialists to use the GPS in future to indicate certain areas belonged to the sanctuary so that they could reclaim land as State property.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and