Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activists allege forest clearing in Mondulkiri wildlife sanctuary




Activists allege forest clearing in Mondulkiri wildlife sanctuary

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
About 20 community group members spotted loggers clearing about 100ha with bulldozers in Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary. Photo supplied

Activists allege forest clearing in Mondulkiri wildlife sanctuary

Environment officials are set to probe an alleged land clearing matter in Mondulkiri province after the local community reported they had found loggers bulldozing forest in the main area of the Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary.

Bunong ethnic activist Kroeung Tola told The Post on Monday that on Saturday, about 20 community group members spotted loggers clearing about 100ha with bulldozers in the sanctuary in O’Raing district’s Dak Dam commune.

“The area that has been bulldozed is home to many gigantic trees, wild animals and some of the rarest plants in the world.

“The bulldozing activity has been going on for a week already. Residents could not use GPS, so we don’t know whether the land belongs to the state or a private company,” he said.

Citing a supervisor for a private company, Tola alleged that the group was bulldozing the forest for Mega First Corp Bhd. He said without elaborating that the company received a 9,000ha concession in 2014, but that only 6,000ha remained.

Tola said granting land concessions to private companies run counter to a directive issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen, who ordered an end to the practice in 2012.

He said he dared not report the matter to Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary director Vuth Sarom after having been warned of legal action over a similar matter.

The activist said he had instead reported the matter to Hun Sen and Minister of Environment Say Sam Al through Facebook.

“There were three bulldozers clearing the forest with Military Police officers and soldiers [protecting] them,” he claimed.

The Post could not reach any Mega First Corp representatives for comment on Monday.

Dak Dam commune chief Chas Na said he was not aware of the matter, but claimed the Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary is not located in his commune.

Before declining further comment, he said the bulldozers may have been used to construct a road in the area.

But O’Raing district governor Siek Mony confirmed to The Post that there was no plan to build a road in the sanctuary and that a road could only be built within the company’s land concession area.

Mony said the company had received the land concession before Hun Sen’s 2012 directive was issued, but did not start any activity there until 2014.

“It [Mega First Corp] received the concession long ago. He [Tola] is not fully aware of the matter but kept shooting his mouth off. They dare not violate the law because it’s not only Tola who is monitoring but many other organisations that are also observing it,” he said.

Provincial environment department director Keo Sopheak said he would look into the matter.

“On Tuesday, I will send my officials to find out whether the alleged bulldozing and logging are taking place in the Nam Lear Wildlife Sanctuary or on the company’s land,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15