Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activists have charges dropped

Activists have charges dropped

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phork Sophin (centre) speaks to the press on November 1. The Phnom Penh Municipal Court dropped the charges against her and two other Borei Keila land activists on Friday. Pha Lina

Activists have charges dropped

Phnom Penh Municipal Court dropped the charges against three land activists on December 14, rejecting the accusations of extortion and property damage brought against the trio by the owner of a development company.

The three land activists from Phnom Penh’s Borei Keila neighbourhood – identified as Phork Sophin, Em Srey Touch, and Sear Naren – denied any wrongdoing and called the complaint baseless.

Phork Sophin told The Post on Sunday that the municipal court stopped the investigation and closed the case because they found it to be lacking in evidence.

She added that Suy Sophan – who owns the development company Phanimex – filed the complaint against the three land activists after they protested in front of Sophan’s house on numerous occasions in February this year to demand proper compensation for land dispute cases dating back to 2004.

The dispute started when residents in Borei Keila were asked to move out of their homes to make way for a development project undertaken by Phanimex.

The firm initially agreed to construct 10 new buildings to relocate the displaced residents, but only completed eight, leaving hundreds of families homeless when their abodes were destroyed in a single day in 2012.

Sophin applauded the court’s decision, saying the protesters simply held banners demanding proper compensation from Sophan’s company for land grabbing and illegally clearing their homes.

“We asked the court to drop the charges because we are all innocent. The court dropped all the charges and will no longer summon us to court,” she said.

Fellow defendant Naren told The Post she was happy the charges were dropped and again pointed the finger at the mogul and her company for the wrongdoing.

“I did not do anything wrong, I am not worried. How about people who took my land and destroyed my house? I was simply asking for what is mine,” she said.

Sophan could not be reached for comment on Sunday. But back on November 1, she told The Post her lawyer will pursue a case against the three activists, saying the protesters threatened the destruction of her property when they gathered in front of her home.

She added that all the protestors had previously accepted compensation from Phnom Penh Municipal Hall for their land and so should stop their protests.

Lawyer for the defendants, Terk Naro, could not be reached for comment on Saturday.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM orders immediate action against ‘sexy’ live streamers

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday ordered immediate action against women who live stream their sales pitches on Facebook wearing revealing clothing. The prime minister said the practice erodes traditional Cambodian values and disgraces women. Hun Sen gave the order to officials attending the Cambodian

  • Tourist area greenlit in Sihanoukville

    The National Committee for Coastal Management and Development will coordinate with relevant ministries over the establishment of a billion-dollar tourist area named Neak Reach in Preah Sihanouk province after it was proposed by the Ministry of Tourism. The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and

  • Hun Sen defends decision to dock Westerdam cruise ship

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday hit back at critics who say he allowed the Westerdam cruise ship to dock in Sihanoukville for political reasons. Speaking at an annual gathering of the Ministry of Interior, Hun Sen said he acted to avert a humanitarian catastrophe

  • Cool heads will defeat Covid-19

    Since Covid-19 was first reported as a world health issue, cruise ships have been the worst to suffer after airlines. The experiences of those who were initially trapped on the Covid-19-stricken Diamond Princess are unimaginable. The cruise ship was rejected from docking at one

  • Affordable housing project in Kandal nearing completion

    Worldbridge Homes Co Ltd’s $73 million affordable housing project in Kandal province’s Koh Kor village, in Sa’ang district, is on track to be completed at year’s end or at the beginning of next year, its general manager Yuk Sothirith told The Post

  • Crimes up with 211 deaths, influx of foreigners to blame

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng on Wednesday said crimes increased by eight per cent last year, resulting in 211 deaths. He revealed the figures during the ministry’s 2019 review and laid the blame for the increase on an influx of foreigners into the Kingdom. “The crime