Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ACU document: Dismissed military university head embroiled in corruption scandal



ACU document: Dismissed military university head embroiled in corruption scandal

Defence Ministry Tea Banh announces Oung Sean's replacement as director of the National Defence University on March 12. Sean was removed following an investigation by the Anti-Corruption Unit. Fresh News
Defence Ministry Tea Banh announces Oung Sean's replacement as director of the National Defence University on March 12. Sean was removed following an investigation by the Anti-Corruption Unit. Fresh News

ACU document: Dismissed military university head embroiled in corruption scandal

A newly published document shows the transferred head of Cambodia’s National Defence University was embroiled in a scandal of nepotism and corruption at the time of his dismissal in March.

Oung Sean was removed from his post on March 2 following an investigation by the Anti-Corruption Unit. An ACU document dated February 1 and published by local media on Monday outlines a litany of irregularities. It was not clear how the outlets obtained the document, which the ACU has not publicly released.

Signed by ACU head Om Yentieng, the document accuses Sean of hiring 70 of his relatives, who received a monthly salary though none of them actually worked.

The document also alleged that Sean sold 12 department director positions for $3,000 to $4,000 and five deputy director positions for $4,000 to $5,000. The university is responsible for training military officials.

Sean also reportedly ordered subordinates to gather bribe money from promoted soldiers, charging $200 to $400 to lieutenants and $500 to $1,000 for majors.

In regards to the accusations against Sean, Chum Socheat, spokesman for the Ministry of Defence, said: “I do not know about it." Socheat confirmed that Sean was transferred within the ministry to an administrative role with the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces.

On his replacement, Chea Dara, Socheat said, “he had a lot of experience in the battlefield so he can lead better than his excellency Oung Sean”.

“Transferring is part of the reform of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces," he said. "Whenever someone does not develop, we change to a new one."

Defence Minister Tea Banh declined to comment while Yentieng could not be reached.

A Post investigation previously revealed that government officials are rarely ever fired, but rather are shuffled around in a series of transfers and reassignments. Sean could not immediately be reached for comment.

This version removes outdated information about Oung Sean's current position.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants