Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Adult entertainment’ venues to stay closed



‘Adult entertainment’ venues to stay closed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A KTV is inspected in Battambang province. Photo supplied

‘Adult entertainment’ venues to stay closed

Following the closure of KTV karaoke parlours, beer gardens and nightclubs, officials will start to make the rounds to ensure business owners follow the new government guidelines.

Ministry of Tourism under-secretary of state Top Sopheak told The Post on November 10 that all tourism departments and relevant authorities were following government orders to ensure adult entertainment business activities ceased.

“Previously, the government ordered the closure of karaoke [clubs] and entertainment clubs, which we call adult entertainment centres, but we did not close restaurants or resorts. But without guests or because of bankruptcy, some closed or suspended [their operations],” he said.

He added the ministry had created a Covid-19 Control Team to work with relevant authorities to conduct nationwide inspections to ensure the new guidelines are being followed.

Sopheak called on all tour operators and tourism businesses to be patient and participate in preventing the spread of Covid-19 by making their business locations safe for customers.

“Businesses that the government prohibits, such as KTV and entertainment clubs, must stay closed. If businesses reopen in violation of the guidelines, authorities will take action in accordance with legal procedures,” he said.

On November 9, tourism minister Thong Khon issued an announcement about the closures.

Khon said municipal and provincial governors must continue to implement the guidelines of the tourism and health ministries.

Preah Sihanouk provincial tourism department director Taing Sochet Kresna told The Post on November 11 that officials had inspected more than 20 entertainment venues in the province to ensure they are following the guidelines.

“There are more than 40 entertainment venues in our province, but about 50 per cent are closed due to Covid-19,” he said.

He added that several businesses had closed on their own while some were still operating as restaurants, which is allowed.

According to a Phnom Penh municipal tourism department report, more than 400 entertainment venues suspended their businesses following the ministries’ instructions in response to the so-called November 3 event, when Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto visited Cambodia and later tested positive for Covid-19 in the Thai capital Bangkok.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said