Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - After blockade, unions plot next move

After blockade, unions plot next move

Municipal security personnel sit in the shade of a tree in Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park
Municipal security personnel sit in the shade of a tree in Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park on Saturday while members of the public congregate along a crowd-control barricade. Heng Chivoan

After blockade, unions plot next move

Union federations today will finalise their strategy for a stay-at-home strike scheduled to start on Wednesday, amid recent government and police suppression of union activity.

Unions will first meet individually to discuss whether they are willing to continue striking past the scheduled March 19 ending and whether the strike should consist only of workers staying home or involve workers showing up to factories but not performing their duties, said Ath Thorn, president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union.

Leaders of the 18 union federations supporting the strike will then meet later today and agree on a definite plan.

“We have discussed among the 18 trade union [leaders], now we are … in the process of making sure with the workers,” Thorn said yesterday.

If unions stick to their schedule, the strike will start only days after authorities manned barricades around Freedom Park on Saturday, thwarting plans to hold an International Women’s Day forum, at which they planned to discuss the minimum wage and the continued detention of 21 activists and workers arrested at January demonstrations, among other garment industry issues.

By 7am on Saturday, municipal police and helmeted Daun Penh security guards stood watch in front of Freedom Park and side streets leading there. An hour later, the baton-wielding security guards herded the group of about 50 people gathered across the street from the Freedom Park blockade, blowing whistles and shouting at people while driving them back to the Naga Bridge.

After the crowd grew to about 500, union supporters drove security guards back behind the barricades at Freedom Park.

“For right now, I’m very hesitant to call it ‘Freedom Park’,” Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Center, said yesterday.

Authorities’ actions on Saturday fell in line with decisions by City Hall and the Ministry of Interior last week to forbid the forum – in which government officials including Deputy Prime Minister Keat Chhon and Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng were invited to participate – citing concerns about disturbance of public order.

Prime Minister Hun Sen had lifted a ban on public demonstrations imposed in early January the week before the forum’s banning.

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng on Friday announced that about 3,100 police officers would receive bonuses of 70,000 riel ($17.50) – a total expenditure of $54,250 – with more rewards likely in the future, in gratitude of authorities’ cracking down of public demonstrations.

“There will be more bonuses,” Kheng said. “It is a little money for you, but it is an act to thank all of you for suppressing protests.”

Kheng also claimed in his Friday speech that union federations planned on holding demonstrations during their strike this week.

Tola and Thorn both denied any intention to hold any kind of demonstration associated with the strike, and stated confusion as to where Kheng received such information.

“The government should change their local spies to be more professional [ones], because they are providing the wrong information,” Tola said. “I don’t know if he receives the wrong information, or he just manipulates [it].”

Tola added that he believes the police bonuses encouraged brutality toward demonstrators.

Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak yesterday declined to comment on Kheng’s claim that unions planned demonstrations this week.

Sopheak defended the bonuses for police, who are often frustrated by protests.

“Generally, the police are bored with the people holding demonstration and strikes, and sometimes they feel angry with the protesters,” Sopheak said. “If the protests did not occur, then police wouldn’t act violently toward [protesters].”

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested