Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Agriculture ministry halts imports of pesticides



Agriculture ministry halts imports of pesticides

Agriculture ministry halts imports of pesticides

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has temporarily halted the import, supply and distribution of all pesticides.

The ban comes after at least 14 people died and around 300 were warded after poisonings in Sre Norn and Alorch villages in Chet Borey district’s Kantuot commune in Kratie province, earlier this month.

Water samples from the area were found to contain pesticides, the Ministry of Health said.

Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon on Friday ordered all pesticide businesses to temporarily cease activities until provincial and municipal agriculture experts have further investigated the incident.

The Ministry of Agriculture said it is checking if those using chemical pesticides knew how to use them effectively and safely.

The director of the Department of Agricultural Legislation at the Ministry of Agriculture, Phum Ra, told The Post on Sunday that around 100 companies importing agricultural pesticides and fertilisers have registered with the ministry.

He said he suspected the problem lay with illegal companies that used such chemicals with disregard for public health and the environment.

Illegal pesticide and fertiliser use has come under the microscope after the discovery of toxic substances in the Prek Te and Korki streams in Kratie, and highlights the harm done through illegally importing the chemicals into Cambodia.

“Until we have [uncovered the cause of the Kratie poisonings] we are temporarily stopping the import of all pesticides,” Phum Ra said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants