Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - All White Building residents cleared, says government



All White Building residents cleared, says government

An aerial view of the White Building, featuring graffiti that reads boding, the local nickname for the capital’s soon-to-be demolished housing complex. Facebook
An aerial view of the White Building, featuring graffiti that reads boding, the local nickname for the capital’s soon-to-be demolished housing complex. Facebook

All White Building residents cleared, says government

Demolition crews are set to begin tearing down the Phnom Penh landmark known as the White Building today, after the Ministry of Land Management announced on Saturday that all families residing in the dilapidated structure had left the premises.

Ministry spokesman Seang Lot said the 492 families had accepted compensation packages, making room for the start of demolition by a local contractor hired by Japanese firm Arakawa.

While the ministry had originally said that there were 493 families residing in the building, Lot clarified that one apartment had been empty. He added that nearby residents and vendors were at no threat from the demolition, which would not involve the use of explosives but only excavators.

“The company is specialised and will ensure the safety of the people around and will work with the local authorities,” he said.

The structure will be replaced by a new 21-storey mixed use building that will be constructed for around $70 million.

The former home of many artists, and a source of inspiration for creatives, the White Building was the setting on Friday of a photo shoot by arts organisation Cambodian Living Arts.

Phloeun Prim, the group’s executive director, said they wanted to replicate a photo they had snapped in 2005 with the same group of artists on a stairwell to commemorate the last days of the structure.

“When we started having classes and training people in Phnom Penh, the White Building was our starting point,” he said.

See more:

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal