Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged attackers at Capitol protest to sue



Alleged attackers at Capitol protest to sue

Representatives of the Cambodia Confederation Development Association yesterday make their case to members of the press that they were victims, not instigators, of a recent brawl in Phnom Penh.
Representatives of the Cambodia Confederation Development Association yesterday make their case to members of the press that they were victims, not instigators, of a recent brawl in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Alleged attackers at Capitol protest to sue

The president of a tuk-tuk and motodop drivers’ association, whose members were recorded on video brutally beating protesting bus drivers over the weekend, said he would file complaints against prominent union and civil society leaders for sparking the violence his own group was accused of instigating.

E Sophors, president of the Cambodia for Confederation Development Association, claimed yesterday that he had his own video evidence showing that innocent CCDA tuk-tuk drivers were in fact beaten up by protesters, rather than the drivers beating protesters with sticks, metal rods and hammers, as publicly available videos show.

“We did not hit any [bus] drivers, and we have prepared a video clip showing the violent brawl as evidence,” he said, while declining to make the clip available to reporters.

On Saturday morning, about 50 former Capitol Bus Company drivers and their union supporters demonstrated against Capitol for allegedly firing 45 bus drivers for trying to start a union.

The protesters were soon set upon by CCDA members, sparking a bloody beatdown that ended in the arrest of two protesters but none of those affiliated with the CCDA.

Sophors said that five people would be named in his complaints: Ath Thorn, president of the Cambodia Labour Confederation; Kong Athit, general secretary of CLC; Nin Kosal, deputy president of the Cambodia Transportation Workers Federation; Sok Chhun Oeung, deputy president of the Independent Democracy of Informal Economy Association; and Am Sam Ath, senior investigator for rights group Licadho.

Three of them – Thorn, Athit, and Chhun Oeung – were among the six men, including the two arrested protesters, charged by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday on incitement and violence charges.

While the two arrestees are now in Prey Sar prison, the other four men charged, all prominent union leaders, remain free.

Krek Sakrain, deputy police chief of Prampi Makara district, said the court had not yet issued any arrest warrants.

Sophors denied allegations that his group was funded by Capitol, adding that the CCDA would release statements to the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Labour, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today to take unspecified action against the 34 civil society associations who condemned the CCDA for attacking the protesters.

Am Sam Ath of Licadho said he was unconcerned about Sophors’s plans, and urged authorities to investigate Saturday’s events transparently.

“Sue me. I have nothing to worry about because I did not do anything illegal.”

The CLC’s Ath Thorn said former Capitol drivers had already prepared their own complaints against Capitol and the CCDA for the violence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting