Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged child torturer’s confession read aloud

Alleged child torturer’s confession read aloud

Dutch national Stefan Struik outside the Mondulkiri Provincial Court earlier this month
Dutch national Stefan Struik outside the Mondulkiri Provincial Court earlier this month. Photo supplied

Alleged child torturer’s confession read aloud

A Vietnamese national charged with torturing a toddler was tried in absentia in a Mondulkiri court yesterday, where his Dutch boyfriend also faces charges in connection to the alleged abuse.

The crime sent shockwaves across Cambodia and the world after videos of the young child being tasered and sexually assaulted were posted to the internet in December.

The alleged perpetrator, Nguyen Tangdung, 25, fled to Vietnam with the alleged assistance of his partner, Dutch national, Stefan Struik, but was arrested by Vietnamese police in Ho Chi Minh City.

Tangdung’s confession was read aloud in court, according to a Child Protection Unit court observer, who asked to remain anonymous. Tangdung confessed that he tortured the child because he was under the influence of drugs, she said.

Struik, meanwhile, “confessed that he did not commit the torture, but he knew about the incident”.

Tangdung was charged under Article 211 of the Cambodian Criminal Code – torture or barbarous acts with aggravating circumstances due to the young age of the victim – which is punishable by 10 to 20 years in prison.

Struik was charged under articles 530 and 532, for failing to lodge a complaint about mistreatment or sexual abuse of a minor and for “hiding leads”. Each charge carries a jail term of up to three years.

Court spokesman Meas Pros said the trial concluded yesterday and a verdict is expected in due course.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said