Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged drug dealers on trial

Alleged drug dealers on trial

Alleged drug dealers on trial

111227_04
Two African men accused of drug trafficking are seen at Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.

Six people accused of smuggling about 340 kilograms of methamphetamines from Vietnam to Phnom Penh faced court yesterday.

Suos Sam Ath, a presiding judge for the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, said 23-year-old Guinean Bah Mamadou, 23; Nigerian men Obieze Keneth Uche, 35, Nabe Alhassane, 34, and Emeka Obi, 38; 34-year-old James Kamara, 34, from Sierra Leone; and Cambodian woman Hou Vanna, 31, were charged with drug trafficking.

They had been arrested on July 24 after a raid on a rental house in Street 218, Teuk La’ak III commune, in the capital’s Tuol Kork district, he said.

“James Kamara and [his girlfriend] Hou Vanna were the main cause of this drug-dealing case because the confiscated drugs were found in their house,” Suos Sam Ath said.

“The court will not pardon them if it is found they had committed the drug dealing but not confessed or corrected their mistakes.”

A police official from the Ministry of Interior, who did not want to be named, said police had seized a drug package consisting of the methamphetamines, three mobile phones and drug paraphernalia.

James Kamara yesterday denied having trafficked drugs.

“I was not aware there were drugs hidden in my house. I was only aware of it when I was handcuffed by police and they showed it to me,” he said.

“I thought the drugs might have been brought by police and planted to accuse and arrest me.”

The trial will continue on January 16.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a