Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged embezzler takes stand

Alleged embezzler takes stand

Alleged embezzler takes stand

Former Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk Kruoch Borath took the stand again yesterday facing accusations of embezzling a $250,000 settlement in a 2011 civil suit, after the court reopened his case following a court-ordered reinvestigation in February.

Borath reiterated his statements to the court in January this year, saying he had received a total of $250,000 over the course of six payments but had kept only the first payment of $75,000, which he used as capital to lend out and earn interest.

The rest of the money, he said, was passed to then court deputy president Ke Sakhan.

Borath’s lawyer, May Vannady, suggested the court recheck the payment notes – all of which he said bore Sakhan’s signature.

Borath, 45, was arrested on October 29 last year at a club in Chamkarmon district after the court issued an arrest warrant accusing him of breach of trust and faking public documents.

Ke Sakhan, now a judge in Takeo province, rejected Borath’s accusations and said that the former clerk had forged his signature on the documents.

“I did not see the money and the documents,” added Sakhan, accusing Borath of slander. He went on to demand $500,000 in compensation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,