Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Altered images

Altered images

Altered images

A judgment in the ongoing lawsuit by three Cambodian celebrities against men who faked pornographic images of the stars in 2005 and distributed them by mobile phone will be handed down in the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on July 17, according to the judge hearing the case.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge Din Sivuthy told the Post by phone that he would issue his decision at that time, following the June 27 hearing in the case brought by Cambodian stars Soeur Sotheara, Chorn Chan Leakhena, and Chin Seriya.

The judge said that the identities of the two men accused in the lawsuit have not been released and refused to give any further information about the case or his decision.

A lawyer who has been following the case but who declined to be named predicted that the defendants in the case would prevail as the defamation action against them has already been dismissed.

With penal liability no longer in issue, the court was expected only to judge whether to award damages for mental injury to the plaintiffs.  

Actress and singer Sotheara said her point was not to win monetary damages but to show that the photos were defamatory and not true to her.

“I just want the court to legally punish the perpetrators. I am not demanding damages for any mental injury to myself,” she said.

Film star Yuthara Chhany, who is actress Chan Leakhena’s husband, said his wife’s complaint has been awaiting judgment since late 2005. Mental damages to his wife and family were not important, he said. The main point was to warn anyone who does this will face consequences, Chhany said.

Lawyer Kong Sopheak, who helped Chan Leakhena and her husband prepare the case for court but who said he was not her attorney, was unsure whether monetary damages would be awarded.

The Post was unable to contact singer Seriya for comment and was told by a family member that she was currently in France.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not