Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor hoteliers dig heels in

Angkor hoteliers dig heels in

Angkor hoteliers dig heels in

111125_04
Former employees of Angkor Village Hotel and Resort continue to protest yesterday after not being reinstated, as instructed by two separate court orders. Photo by: Thik kaliyann

Despite a second order from the Siem Reap provincial court that a five-star hotel in Siem Reap reinstate 67 workers it fired about four months ago, its French and Khmer owners continue to refuse to do so.

The second provincial court order that Angkor Village Hotel and Resort reinstate the workers was issued on November 15, delivered to the hotel on Monday and received by workers on Wednesday morning, Sok Narit, deputy director of the Cambodian Tourism and Service Workers Federation, told the Post yesterday.

Sok Narit said that employees took copies of the court order to the hotel at about 2pm yesterday and that they were accompanied by local officials who supported them. “We don’t have the power or money to change this, so we hope the law will be applied, and we hope the government will pay close attention to this case because it has been dragging on for four months,” Sok Narit said.

The court order instructed the hotel to reinstate the workers while its appeal of an earlier ruling to do so was being considered, Dave Welsh, country director for the American Centre for International Labour Solidarity, told the Post.

“The workers simply lined up in front of the hotel with copies of the court order telling its owners to reinstate them.

Police delivered a copy of the order to the hotel’s owners. They ignored them,” he said.

The hotel’s owners – Olivier Piot and Tep Vantho – fired the workers in August after staff formed a union. The workers took their case to the Arbitration Council, which later that month issued a non-binding ruling that the hotel reinstate them as well as compensate them for other violations of the Labour Law, including failure to pay overtime.

The hotel’s owners ignored the Arbitration Council’s ruling and the sacked workers who took their case to the Siem Reap Municipal Court, which decided in their favour on October 26. Piot and Tep Vantho appealed that decision.

“The workers are getting desperate,” Sok Narit said. “Most have children. They have loans to pay back to microfinance institutes. If they can’t pay their loans, they will lose their property,” he said, adding that almost none of them had been able to get jobs at other hotels in the town because they had been fired.

Former employee Chhey Phy, 29, alleged that the owners had emailed photos of the workers to managers of other hotels in the town and urged them not to hire them. Piot and Vantho could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The International Labour Organisation also urged the hotel’s owners to abide by Cambodian law and the Arbitration Council. “We certainly keep an eye on these disputes,” ILO advocacy officer Maeve Galvin said. “The Arbitration Council was an ILO initiative and has a 70 per cent success rate so we would be very supportive of their rulings and obviously the Labour Law should be upheld in these cases,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong