Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor marathon marks 50 years of collaboration between Cambodia, ILO




Angkor marathon marks 50 years of collaboration between Cambodia, ILO

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
12,175 people from 85 countries around the world took part in an international half-marathon in Siem Reap province on Sunday. Supplied

Angkor marathon marks 50 years of collaboration between Cambodia, ILO

The International Labour Organisation (ILO) on Sunday took part in an international half-marathon in Siem Reap province to promote social justice and decent jobs for all.

The ILO, along with the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and the National Social Security Fund (NSSF), also marked the 100th anniversary of its establishment and the 50th anniversary of Cambodia’s membership in the organisation.

A press release from the ILO reported the attendance of some 550 participants from the ILO, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training, the NSSF, trade unions and employers’ associations, the private sector, national and international organisations, UN-Cambodia, students and other relevant stakeholders.

Ministry spokesman Heng Sour told The Post on Sunday that the celebration of the anniversary was an opportunity for the ministry and the ILO to acknowledge the fruits of their collaboration, especially in the labour sector.

“[This] includes establishing legal standard letters, strengthening capacities of the tripartite mechanism for labour policies, skills development and improvement in social relations,” he said.

Cambodian Labour Confederation president Ath Thorn told The Post on Sunday: “The ILO continues to help the government under its programme for the labour sector to promote decent employment across the country.

“In the meantime, our government has implemented the five-year Strategic Development Plan of 2019-2023 along with the ILO to create better job opportunities for all.”

Presided over by Minister of Tourism Thong Khon, the 24th International Half Marathon was organised at Siem Reap’s Angkor Wat on Sunday morning.

The event was joined by 12,175 people from 85 countries around the world, a 20 per cent increase from last year’s attendance.

The Ministry of Tourism reported that most of the foreigners who joined the event were British nationals, followed by Japanese, American, Australian and French.

Graeme Buckley, ILO country office director for Thailand, Cambodia and Lao PDR, said in the press release: “It is right that we should feel pride in the achievements of past decades.

“The partnership we have developed with the government and people of Cambodia are replete with many achievements.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that