Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor Wat visitor fees adjusted in bid to encourage more tourism

Angkor Wat visitor fees adjusted in bid to encourage more tourism

Angkor Wat visitor fees adjusted in bid to encourage more tourism

Siem Reap
After much deliberation, the Apsara Authority has chosen July 1 to

launch a new ticketing structure designed to keep tourists longer.

LONG-AWAITED changes to the Apsara Authority's rigid Angkor temple ticketing structure are to become official on July 1, according to a letter sent by the authority to organisations, including the Cambodia Association of Travel Agents.

The new ticketing will allow US$40 passes to be valid for a week instead of a three-day period, while $60 tickets, once weeklong, will be valid for use over a month.

The letter, signed by Apsara Director General Bun Narith, said the changes have been introduced to "reduce the influence of the world economic problem" and to get tourists to stay longer.

Tourism groups have intensely lobbied for a change to the ticket structure, saying giving tourists an incentive to extend their stay in the Kingdom would be a significant economic enhancement and stimulus to the tourism sector.

Minister of Tourism Thong Khon announced in March that he had agreed to a proposal by the private Tourism Working Group to extend Angkor temple tickets in a bid to attract more tourists.

He said he had made the decision following a recent meeting with the Apsara Authority, adding that the ministry had been thinking about the idea for some time.

He also said that the new system would begin "next week". But Bun Narith told the Post at the time of the meeting that he had not heard of the decision and that anything more than a one-month visit would be "hard to manage".

Tourism operators and travel organisations have welcomed the recent progress.

"From a hotelier's perspective, it's a great initiative and allows us to actively promote to guests to get them to stay longer," Nick Downing,

general manager of Siem Reap's Hotel de la Paix, and one of the original lobbyists to change the ticketing structure, said.

"The greater flexibility also encourages guests to travel to other parts of the country."

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a