Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anonymous takes aim at local news website



Anonymous takes aim at local news website

Anonymous takes aim at local news website

Anonymous Cambodia launched cyberattacks over the weekend against private website DAP news in response to the arrests earlier this month of two members of the international “hacktivist” group’s local arm.

While it wasn’t clear exactly why DAP was a target, Anonymous accused the website of publishing erroneous information. DAP is also owned by media personality Soy Sopheap, who has close ties to Prime Minister Hun Sen.

“Now DAP website was newly created and lost all of its important database,” Anonymous Cambodia wrote on its Facebook page, warning that similar moves will be met with the same result. “If there is no appropriate resolution for our Anonymous members we will hack into the system of other government ministries, internet companies and the banks to destroy all databases.”

Sopheap said that the attacks, which occurred at about 10pm on Sunday, almost destroyed the entire database and kept the site down until 10am yesterday.

“We don’t know why the group attacked our website and why Anonymous has continued warning about attacks on us,” he said.

“I would like to appeal to Anonymous Cambodia to use their knowledge for the benefit of society rather than used in the wrong way, because we employed about 100 Khmer staff to work in our office.”

Khieu Kanharith, minister of information, said the attacks represent a “wake-up call for everybody to be aware of cyber security”.

Two 21-year-old members of Anonymous were arrested on April 7 over claims they launched attacks on several government websites.

Bun King Mongkolpanha and Chu Songheng face accusations of computer hacking that can carry prison terms of up to two years.

Songheng told police he had not participated in any attacks and was merely trying to learn hacking skills. Police say they arrested the pair after an eight-month investigation with the help of the FBI.

Dim Chaoseng, the pair’s lawyer, said yesterday that a trial date had yet to be set and that he would receive the case file today.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,