Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Another defamation conviction upheld against Cambodian ex-opposition leader Sam Rainsy



Another defamation conviction upheld against Cambodian ex-opposition leader Sam Rainsy

Ex-opposition leader Sam Rainsy speaks about the political situation in Cambodia during a National Press Club forum in Australia in February. Photo supplied
Ex-opposition leader Sam Rainsy speaks about the political situation in Cambodia during a National Press Club forum in Australia in February. Photo supplied

Another defamation conviction upheld against Cambodian ex-opposition leader Sam Rainsy

The Appeal Court on Tuesday upheld yet another conviction against former opposition leader Sam Rainsy, this one for claiming Prime Minister Hun Sen bribed pro-government social media activist Thy Sovantha.

Rainsy made the accusation in France in January of last year, after messages allegedly between the premier and Sovantha, an opposition activist-turned-ruling party darling, were leaked to her Facebook page in November.

The messages dealt with undermining Rainsy’s now-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party, with the prime minister allegedly calling Sovantha “grandchild” and offering her $1 million to fund her activities.

Rainsy was found guilty of defamation in absentia in December, and ordered to pay $1 million to the prime minister.

Presiding Judge In Vannvibol said Rainsy’s post “affected the dignity and reputation of the prime minister locally and overseas”.

The case is one of at least eight currently hanging over the self-exiled political figure since a prior round of pardons in 2013. He has lived abroad to avoid imprisonment since 2015.

In an email, Rainsy derided the “Kangaroo Court” that he said ignored “irrefutable evidence”. Nevertheless, he pledged to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court, for another “opportunity to expose Hun Sen’s wrongdoings”.

He called for the court to investigate the more than 400 leaked messages which he claimed contained personal details that prove their authenticity.

A similar but separate lawsuit has been filed by Sovantha, who has claimed the messages were fabricated and her Facebook page was hacked.

Meanwhile, Rainsy went on an offensive of his own, tweeting demands for Hun Sen to step down or be removed.

Rainsy said the premier could negotiate a “safe exit” or “be forced to step down” by the people and armed forces.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could