Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Answers sought for Veng Sreng



Answers sought for Veng Sreng

Mourners attend a ceremony at the Cambodia National Rescue Party head office in Phnom Penh
Mourners attend a ceremony at the Cambodia National Rescue Party head office in Phnom Penh yesterday carrying portraits of those who were killed during a garment worker protest in January last year. Pha Lina

Answers sought for Veng Sreng

Families of those shot dead on Veng Sreng Boulevard in January last year have called on National Assembly President Heng Samrin to summon Defence Minister Tea Banh and Interior Minister Sar Kheng for questioning over the brutal crackdown in a letter obtained yesterday.

Five people were killed when heavily armed security forces opened fire on protesters and bystanders during a minimum garment wage protest. A teenage boy, believed to have been shot, remains missing. Dozens were injured and arrested, while a number of protesters were themselves violent.

“A great number of police, armed forces and soldiers under the Ministry of Interior and the Defence Ministry cracked down brutally on workers, civil society and monks,” says the letter, also from survivors.

“We propose that the defence minister and interior minister clarify in the National Assembly the events that led to the shootings, the boy going missing, the 23 arrests and the many injuries.”

Vorn Pov, president of the Independent Democracy of Informal Economy Association (IDEA), spent months in prison after “observing” a protest that ended in a violent crackdown and his arrest on January 2. Yesterday, he called for the authorities to pursue those responsible for the violence.

“We ask [the National Assembly] to summon the ministers – those responsible are police, military police and soldiers.”

Defence Minister Banh said yesterday that he will not appear for questioning, because an investigation has already been carried out. “I do not have any duty to clarify this for anyone,” Banh said.

Few details of the investigation have been released to the public.

Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak could not be reached yesterday, while Chheang Vun, the ruling party’s National Assembly spokesman, declined to comment.

To mark the anniversary on Saturday, civil society groups gathered at Veng Sreng, but a heavy police presence thwarted those who marched from the area.

Yesterday, the opposition CNRP held a memorial at its office in Meanchey district.

Earlier, City Hall had refused to allow a gathering at Freedom Park and Veng Sreng.

“My son just asked for a salary of $160 and the [armed forces] shot him dead,” said Keo Sok Meng, 50, who lost her son Pheng Kosal, 23.

Widow Chhiv Sarun, 25, spoke of her husband Yean Rithy, 25, being shot dead.

“I have not received justice . . . I need money to feed my child every day. I want the [government] to arrest these murderers,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese