Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-tank mine kills 14

Anti-tank mine kills 14

Anti-tank mine kills 14

Fourteen people, including a 1-year-old girl and a 6-month-old infant, have been killed after a homemade tractor ran over a civil war-era anti-tank mine in Battambang province’s Banan district.
Buth Sambo, Banan district police chief, said yesterday the accident occurred as the group was driving home from work at a chili farm in Kampong Kul village, in Banan district’s Cheng Meanchey commune.
“The road was abandoned after the civil war because during the Pol Pot regime, [the Khmer Rouge] put anti-tank mines in the ground,” he said.
“The villagers should not have travelled on that road because we already have a new one nearby.”
He said that 12 people were killed immediately by the blast, while one died on the way to hospital and another died in hospital yesterday morning.
The victims were made up of nine females and five males.
Chhiv Lim, project manager for the Cambodia Mine/ERW Victim Information System, described Tuesday afternoon’s accident as the worst in recent memory.
“This is the second time [this year] an accident like this has caused so many casualties,” Chhiv Lim said.
In May this year, three people were killed and 11 injured when their vehicle drove over a similar anti-tank mine, he said.
Buth Sambo said Tuesday’s incident marked the second accident involving an anti-tank mine in Banan district this year. On August 25, a 17-year-old boy and two cows were killed when one of the cattle stepped on a land mine.
“We authorities always go down to educate the villagers about the dangers of unexploded landmines,” he said.
“They understand these dangers well, and they always report to us when they see unexploded remnants.”
Chhiv Lim said 39 people in Battambang province were reported killed or injured by landmines or explosive remnants of war in the first 10 months of 2010. Country-wide, 234 people were killed from January through October, a 13-percent rise compared with the 217 people killed in the same period last year.
“Some people are stubborn. They know the dangers, but they will still hold a bomb like a microphone when they sing karaoke,” said Chhiv Lim.
According to the Cambodian Mine Action Authority, about 223 people in Cambodia were reported killed or injured by landmines and explosive remnants of war in the first nine months of this year. ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SOEUN SAY

MOST VIEWED

  • US names new ambassador to Cambodia

    US President Donald Trump on Friday appointed W Patrick Murphy as the new US Ambassador to Cambodia, replacing incumbent William A Heidt. A press release posted on the White House’s website said nominee W Patrick Murphy is currently acting principal deputy assistant secretary at

  • Kingdom is at a crossroads between East, West after poll

    It was dubbed a success by caretaker prime minister Hun Sen after the electoral victory of his Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), which is poised to take all seats in the National Assembly. But the July 29 national election has not been positively looked at by

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth

  • Western poll flak is ‘pressure to take the Kingdom hostage’

    After last month’s national elections brought praise for the orderly manner they were run and managed, the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesman Sok Eysan dismissed criticism from the West as a “violation of the Kingdom’s independence”. He said the attitude of