Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-tank mine kills boy in Battambang

Anti-tank mine kills boy in Battambang

Anti-tank mine kills boy in Battambang

A TEENAGE boy and two cows were killed instantly when one of the cows stepped on an anti-tank mine in Battambang province’s Banan district, local officials said. Yet Yong, 17, was found dead in a rice field on Wednesday approximately 30 metres from the site of the explosion, Banan district police chief Buth Sambo said. “His face was badly scarred, and he had wounds all over his body,” Buth Sambo said. The two cows, he said, had been blown into small pieces. Pring Pannharith, the Cambodian Mine Action Centre’s demining unit manager in Battambang, said the explosion had created a crater more than 2 metres deep. Battambang suffered 32 casualties from unexploded ordnances in the first seven months of 2010, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on