Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeal Court rejects request of RFA journos to drop bail terms



Appeal Court rejects request of RFA journos to drop bail terms

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Uon Chhin (left) and Yeang Sothearin have been told that they no longer have to appear at their local police station every month, despite their battle in Appeal on Friday. Heng Chivoan

Appeal Court rejects request of RFA journos to drop bail terms

Despite losing their battle in the Appeal Court on Friday to have their bail conditions removed, two former Radio Free Asia (RFA) reporters were told that they no longer had to appear at their local police station every month.

Uon Chhin and Yeang Sothearin were appealing to have their bail conditions removed, including not leaving Cambodia or changing their address as they await trial on espionage charges.

Chhin was also seeking the return of video equipment seized in the investigation to help provide for his family, while Sothearin said he has been unable to work due to the court’s supervision order.

The two RFA reporters were detained on November 14, 2017, and charged with the “provision of information undermining national defence to a foreign state” under Article 445 of the Criminal Code for allegedly providing information causing damage to national security.

They face between seven and 15 years in jail if found guilty.

Chhin and Sothearin were accused of attempting to continue reporting for the US-based RFA after it shuttered its operations in Cambodia. They were released on bail in August.

Despite ruling against the pair, saying the requests didn’t comply with Cambodian law, RFA reported on Friday, the Court of Appeal said they did not have to visit their local police station every month as the investigation phase of their case concluded in February.

Chhin said on Sunday that he and Sothearin told the judge at Friday’s hearing that they were requesting that the court lift the bail conditions so they could support their families.

“We requested that the court remove its supervision such as the ban on going abroad and visiting the police station once a month. We also asked for the return of items impounded by the authorities. We did not demand anything more than this,” Chhin said.

Chhin and Sothearin’s defence lawyer Sam Chamroeun on Sunday said their request to have their bail conditions removed had been rejected by Judge Thou Mony in a hearing lasting more than an hour.

Chamroeun said he would discuss with his clients whether to file a complaint with the Supreme Court.

“Judge Thou Mony said the request made by Chhin and Sothearin had not been accepted by the Appeal Court,” he said.

Sothearin and Chhin said before Friday’s hearing that their requests were being made to enable them to find jobs to support themselves, as well as give them the opportunity to study abroad.

“I think if the court understands our actual situation, they should drop the supervision. If they want to pursue their investigation, it is up to them, and we will continue to cooperate with the court at all times. We will appear whenever they need us to,” Sothearin said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not