Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeal Court upholds charge against woman who trafficked two young brides to China



Appeal Court upholds charge against woman who trafficked two young brides to China

Appeal Court upholds charge against woman who trafficked two young brides to China

The Appeal Court on Wednesday heard the case of a woman who was sentenced to eight years in prison last year for sending two Cambodians to China for marriage in 2016.

The lower court record read out by Presiding Judge Plang Samnang said Ouch Senghong, 45, from Tbong Khmum province’s Krouch Chhmar district, lured two unidentified women, aged 21 and 26, into marriage in June 2016, when they agreed to travel to the capital.

However, the victims filed a complaint against Senghong on the suspicion of human trafficking, leading to her arrest.

Eight years in jail

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced Senghong to eight years in prison on January 3, last year, on a charge of “unlawful removal with purpose” under Article 10 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.

The court also ordered Senghong to pay the victims two million riel ($500) each in compensation.

At the Appeal Court on Wednesday, Senghong pleaded for mercy, claiming she was approached by a man about arranging marriages between Cambodian women and Chinese men in China with a promise of $2,000.

“I did it because I am poor. I won’t do it again if I am released. I would like to ask the court to reduce the sentence to two years,” she said.

Prosecutor Khut Sopheang asked the court to uphold the guilty verdict.

“The convict had admitted her guilt. The Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision is just, so the sentence should be upheld,” Sopheang said.

The Appeal Court verdict will be delivered on August 22.

Defence lawyer Chea Panha said Senghong deserved a lighter punishment.

“My client has admitted her guilt so the court should reduce her sentence,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman