Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeal heard in pedophile case

Appeal heard in pedophile case

Appeal heard in pedophile case

121227 06
Convicted pedophile Giuseppe Nicolosi (C) of Australia is seen at the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh, Thursday, Dec. 26, 2012. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

Convicted pedophile Giuseppe Nicolosi (C) of Australia is seen at the Appeal Court in Phnom Penh, Thursday, Dec. 26, 2012. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

An Australian national convicted of purchasing sex from a five-year-old in 2010 had his final hearing in his appeal yesterday, a hearing that could secure his release, with the prosecution also calling for the charge to be dropped.

The defendant, Giuseppe Nicolosi, 57, was originally sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment in 2011.

But there were problems with the case then, and those could factor into the Appeal Court’s decision.

The victim recanted her original complaint following the Siem Reap Provincial Court trial.

At the appeal hearing yesterday, the investigating judge read out portions of an interview with her in October in which she claimed she’d never even met Nicolosi.

“I have never visited or went to play at his house. He has never done any thing to me,” she said during the interview.

Her statement, however, was challenged by an eight-year-old friend of hers who was also interviewed, and who claimed to have seen the sexual acts taking place.

During yesterday’s hearing, court officials read out the victim’s answers and testimony from her mother and witnesses.  

“Through this final hearing, the Penal Assembly of the Court of Appeal expects that it will complete this case, and will find the truth and justice for both parties,” a presiding judge said.

Hean Rith, a deputy prosecutor at the Court of Appeal, said that based on the hearing and the lack of proof, the charges against Nicolosi should be dropped, and Kao Soupha, the defence lawyer, said his client was innocent.

He called for Nicolosi’s release.

Nicolosi could not be reached for comment yesterday.

However, during an interview with the Post in August, he said he was the victim of a false accusation.

 

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing

  • Rainsy ‘fallen in own trap’, PM says as Sokha ‘bet’ defended

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has defended his decision to accept a “bet” offered by opposition figure Sam Rainsy involving the “release” of former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) president Kem Sokha, denying it violated the authority of the courts. The leader of the Cambodia National