Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeals languishing for bomb plot participants

Appeals languishing for bomb plot participants

Appeals languishing for bomb plot participants

120123_03b

The families of two men convicted by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2010 in connection with a failed bomb plot had filed a complaint with a local rights group requesting action in appeals against their 20-year sentences, family members said yesterday.

Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post
Relatives of two men alleged to be members of the anti-government Khmer National Unity Front speak to Adhoc staff yesterday.

In January, 2009, five people alleged to be members of the anti-government Khmer National Unity Front — also known as the Tiger Head Movement — were charged in connection with a failed bomb plot targeting the Defence Ministry and television station TV3, along with  the recruitment and training of terrorists.

Those charged included Som Ek, the alleged leader of the Tiger Head Movement, who was sentenced to 28 years in prison after he was also previously found guilty of a failed 2007 bomb plot targeting the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument.

Three other men — Pov Vannara, Chea Kimyan and Loeuk Bunhean — each received 20-year prison sentences. Another suspect, Phy Savoeung, was acquitted of all charges.

The families of Chea Kimyan and Pov Vannara yesterday appealed for the courts to take action on appeals filed by both men following their convictions in 2010.

Somm Sochear, the wife of Chea Kimyan, told a press conference at the office of rights group Adhoc it had been three years already since her husband was arrested.

“My husband did not do as he was accused. It was very unjust for him; he was not involved with terrorism,” she said.

Chea Kimyan’s daughter, Somm Yeng Bory, 20, said her father was a former soldier who was innocent of the charges.

“Please release him from the prison to allow us to live together as a family,” she said.

Plong Livan, the wife of Pov Vannara, said that the courts had not taken action since her husband filed an appeal against his conviction in 2010.

“My husband is not guilty, and the municipal court had no evidence to sentence my husband,” Plong Livan said.

She claimed that the prosecutor in the case had attempted to force her husband to confess.

Appeal Court general prosecutor Ouk Savuth could not be reached for comment.

At the press conference, senior Adhoc investigator Chan Soveth appealed to the courts to find justice for Chea Kimyan and Pov Vannara who, he claimed, had no involvement in the plot.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s