Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Apsara is not bending on illegal construction




Apsara is not bending on illegal construction

Villagers dismantle a construction site last week in the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap province. Photo supplied
Villagers dismantle a construction site last week in the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap province. Photo supplied

Apsara is not bending on illegal construction

The Apsara Authority has taken a strong stance against illegal construction activity within the Angkor Archaeological Park, maintaining that the authority and Siem Reap police will go ahead with efforts to demolish unauthorised construction sites even after some 100 owners protested last Friday.

Apsara previously warned owners involved in the 523 cases of illegal construction sites, including some that were taking place just 50 metres away from the ancient temples, to halt activity and dismantle their structures by last week or have their sites cleared by the police.

The owners staged a protest on Friday and blocked a road leading to Angkor Wat for several hours, said Men Kimsuor from rights group Licadho.

“Villagers are not happy with the measure of the Apsara Authority, so they protested against it,” he said.

According to Kimsuor, many villagers took out loans for the construction during the campaign period for the commune elections, and the authorities did not appear to have attempted to stop them. He added that the intervention should have come when construction first started.

Apsara spokesman Long Kosal said yesterday that some villagers have volunteered to dismantle the structures themselves after being informed by officials to stop all construction, but many resisted. “The demolition will not be paused. We are still calling for the owners to dismantle and follow the law.”

He added that the Apsara Authority is unaware of any loans and said officials have not demolished any structures yet.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

    Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps on Monday despite criticism from former members of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that the Kingdom is losing land in the deal. The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving