Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Army assures that no new mines laid

Army assures that no new mines laid

Army assures that no new mines laid

T HE Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) are no longer planting mines and have

purchased no new mines since 1992, claims Co-Minister of Defense Tea Bahn.

He said Cambodia stopped importing mines when the Cambodian Mine Action

Centre (CMAC) was opened in 1992.

"We don't buy or import mines to

Cambodia. We have a lot of mines which we have imported in the last 15 years and

we are beginning to stop using them."

He declined to provide the exact

number of mines in storage and where they are kept, but said no new mines had

been planted after the armed forces were unified in late 1993.


the chief technical advisor at CMAC, Lt-Col Serge Léveillé, said centre staff

believe new mines were laid along Highway 10 between Battambang and Pailin

during last April's Khmer Rouge-RCAF offensive. "We had news from villagers that

there have been new mines laid. It is not clear who put the mines there, but it

seems likely that both sides did... when you want to slow the enemy's advance,

you put in some mines."

CMAC chairman Ieng Mouly agreed that the army

had now stopped planting or buying mines.

Earlier, in a speech during

the celebration of Mine Awareness Day on Feb 25, Mouly called on the government

to take a strong stand against using mines and to ban the use of anti-personnel

land mines.

Mouly said Cambodia's mine problem was created by

international arms dealers. Since demining efforts were begun in earnest in

1992, mines made in Vietnam, Russia, Greece, China, the United States, India,

Italy and Singapore have been unearthed from all over the


"Cambodia alone can not resolve this problem, so Cambodia needs

assistance from the international community in terms of equipment, finance and

expertise," Mouly told a crowd of nearly 1,000 people, after they had marched

through Phnom Penh to support the call for a ban on mines.

Léveillé said

CMAC was hoping to get an $8 million injection of funds during the March 13-15

meeting in Paris of ICORC. So far, the centre has received $12 million of the

total $20 million donors pledged when it was set up.

CMAC is also

looking for funds to pay 17 foreign technical advisors over the next


Mouly said according to a Feb 13 resolution of the Council of

Ministers, CMAC has become an institution of the Royal government. Foreign

technical assistance is slated to end after April 1996.

Since CMAC was

set up it has cleared more than 8 million square meters. It has also identified

more than 2,000 mine fields and is working to mark more than 27 million square

meters of mined land.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • Australian police investigating death threat against Kem Ley's widow

    Updated: 10:17am, Friday March 23, 2018 Australian authorities on Thursday confirmed they have launched an investigation into a crudely written death threat sent tothe family of slain political analyst Kem Ley and Victoria state MP Hong Lim. The typed letter, reported to Victoria police last week, is

  • Phnom Penh smothered in smelly, dangerous haze as landfill fire continues burning

    A putrid haze that has bedeviled Phnom Penh since Monday night will likely continue as a landfill in Dangkao district continued to burn on Friday, creating health risks for the capital's residents. Workers at the Dangkao landfill on site on Friday attributed the fire, which