Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Arson link to logging clash ‘obvious’: official

Arson link to logging clash ‘obvious’: official

Arson link to logging clash ‘obvious’: official

A FORESTRY Administration official in Mondulkiri province said Sunday that “several” suspects had been identified in connection with a suspected arson attack that destroyed one of the administration’s office buildings in Keo Seima district on January 9.

Chhuon Sereyvath, the administration’s deputy director, said officials believe the fire was linked to a January 7 incident in which forestry officials attempted to disrupt the route of two trucks loaded with illegal logs that were heading to the Vietnamese border. The loggers opened fire on the officials, according to police, and the office building was torched two days later.

Police at first said the fire appeared to be intentional, but refrained from making an explicit link between the two incidents. On Sunday, though, Chhuon Sereyvath said his office’s investigation had led him to conclude that the link was obvious.

“We have already identified the people who burned the office, and they were the ones who were transporting valuable wood illegally,” Chhuon Sereyvath said. “We are now finishing up our investigation so that we can send the file to the provincial court.”

However, he added that the Forestry Administration would consider dropping its complaint and pursuing an out-of-court settlement.

He noted that none of the suspects had been apprehended, and he declined to say exactly how many had been linked to the suspected arson attack.

Keo Samuth, the police chief in Sre Preah commune where the office building was located, said the Forestry Administration is investigating the case along with his own officers. He said he had not yet been given information on the identify of any suspects.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,