Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Attacked robber to face charges

Attacked robber to face charges

Attacked robber to face charges

Photo by: AFP

Villagers attack three alleged robbers in Dangkor district on Thursday. Two died in the attack, while the survivor is now set to face a robbery charge.

THE sole survivor of a brutal mob attack on three suspected robbers that took place late last week in Dangkor district is expected to be transferred from police custody to Prey Sar prison early this week, and police have filed a complaint against him at Phnom Penh Municipal Court, the district’s deputy police chief said Sunday.

“We have filed the records to Municipal Court prosecutor Plang Sophal against the living robber. The primary charge is robbery,” Choup Sokheng said. Plang Sophal could not be reached Sunday.

A group of 400 villagers on Thursday evening attacked three men with sticks, knives, stones and poles after they allegedly stole a motorbike from two young women in Kandal province’s Ang Snuol district, Dangkor district police chief Born Sam Ath said.

Two of the men died at the scene of the attack, but 27-year-old Sok Siet, the subject of the complaint, survived.

Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for the rights group Adhoc, said Sunday that such vigilante killings used to be common, but had tapered off in recent years.

“It was very common nationwide before 2006, but it had decreased since then. Now we are concerned that more mob killings will occur,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not